Secondary regulators - kegland, micro-matic etc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I inadvertently left my bitter connected while I was carbing up some lager the other day (oops).
So I’ve decided it’s probably time to do things properly and get a couple of secondary regs.
The kegerator has already got a manifold so I don’t need daisy chaining or taps, and I only do CO2.

So far the types I’ve seen are
  • Kegland (£22 from BKT with 3/8” adapters)
  • Micro-matic (£35 from MM - daisy chainable and mixed gas but no gauge)
  • ODL (£49 from BKT - ‘premium’ product: metal case etc)
  • V3002g (about £40 if you shop around - another ‘big’ one like the ODL)
I’m not particularly bothered about the price, but I do want kit that’s accurate, doesn’t stick and is going to last.
Anyone had experience with these or other models?

Last edited:
I have a pretty crude arrangement. I have two corny gas posts on the outside of by Barrelater, each connected to a King Keg inside. So I have a secondary regulator directly mounted on the outlet of the primary regulator and a length of gas hose with a corny quick connect.
2CA9BC52-AD23-46AF-9F90-DAE1F3DC93D9.jpeg

CA2F59EF-DE33-4341-BAC3-FAE31454CE51.jpeg

I've been using the kegland inline regulators, get a gauge that is in the range of your target.
Trouble is scale is .king small to read and small adjustments can be tricky don't put them at the back or bottom of your keg fridge.
Those shako ones look good with the Lowest pressure range.

I've been using the kegland inline regulators, get a gauge that is in the range of your target.
Trouble is scale is .king small to read and small adjustments can be tricky don't put them at the back or bottom of your keg fridge.
Those shako ones look good with the Lowest pressure range.
That sounds like good advice. Yes the gauges on those Kegland ones look weeny
If I didn't already have a manifold in the fridge I'd probably mount them externally on the wall... as it is, I'm looking at the internal space and trying to decide what's the best option.
:-)

I have a pretty crude arrangement. I have two corny gas posts on the outside of by Barrelater, each connected to a King Keg inside. So I have a secondary regulator directly mounted on the outlet of the primary regulator and a length of gas hose with a corny quick connect.
View attachment 86316
View attachment 86315
@Buffers brewery out of interest what is the advantage of having a secondary attached directly to your primary? I thought the point of secondaries was so that you can have one or more kegs (or barrels in your case) at different pressures than your primary is set at

@Buffers brewery out of interest what is the advantage of having a secondary attached directly to your primary? I thought the point of secondaries was so that you can have one or more kegs (or barrels in your case) at different pressures than your primary is set at
You’re right, that is the point of secondaries. In my case, put it down to over cautious. When I started using a CO2 bottle, I didn’t like the idea of just one device between the huge amount of energy in the bottle and my plastic barrel. A single fault condition could result in an exploding barrel ashock1. So with the primary set at a little over 1 bar I can adjust the pressure to the barrel using the secondary with lower risk of over pressurising my plastic barrels. I might have felt differently if I was using metal cornys.

I use one of these…
Shako NR200s are my choice too. I get them direct, but there doesn't seem any advantage over @Buffers brewery's choice of supplier plus there are more choices to make on the Shako site and that can lead to getting the wrong one!

https://www.shako-online-sales.com/frl/regulators/NR200
You can get pipe adapters (the regulators have BSP ports) in just about any combination you fancy ... you should never need to resort to "hose barbs" (which I found a bit unreliable). But my favoured adapters ("Kelm") made a suicidal decision to change suppliers a while ago, but seem to be resolving that now:

https://www.pipestock.com/air-pneumatics/tube-fittings/brass-quick-fit-fittings/tube-x-bspp-thread
Not tried them as a supplier yet! In fact, I've only just noticed this change preparing this post (thanks to @The-Engineer-That-Brews for posting this question)! I prefer to use the highly flexible polyurethane tubing (6 or 8mm OD) and those "finger-tight" fittings which are immensely more reliable (and cheaper) than JG.

... In my case, put it down to over cautious. ...
My reason too! Reading about "End-of-tank-dump" was enough to put anyone off! Secondary regulators effectively create a "dual-stage" setup which is immune to "End-of-tank-dump"; which I've never heard of any homebrewer experiencing anyway! ("End-of-tank-dump" is a fish-killing fault that aquarium users panic about).

The polyurethane pipe is widely available from pneumatic parts suppliers. Be aware there are two types, and one won't be suitable (not good if wet?). But the unsuitable type I've only come across from cheap Chinese suppliers.

Also be aware: The pipe is softer than the common MDPE stuff, and I have split it be trapping in a chest freezer lid once too often. I only use the polyurethane for gas, not beer.

Latest posts

Back