Setting up beer taps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gytski

Reaction score
Hi, still new to homebrewing but my daughter and i are building an outdoor bar so im wondering how i can pipe from a normal pressured beer keg up to a tap and which tap is good to use without paying out a fortune.

Hi, still new to homebrewing but my daughter and i are building an outdoor bar so im wondering how i can pipe from a normal pressured beer keg up to a tap and which tap is good to use without paying out a fortune.
What a nice thing to do and somewhere you may be spending quite some time this summer!? I’m not sure a plastic PB (if that’s what your suggesting) would be up to the job as I think the max psi is around 15. I think you would be looking at Cornelius keg. I’m sure you’ll get replies with more expertise then mine. Good luck and enjoy :beer1:

Hi @gytski, first of all welcome along, secondly are you thinking of using a plastic pressure barrel or a cornelius keg? As @Racinsnake has pointed out the PB will only hold a small amount of pressure and that pressure is for serving out of that container, cornelius kegs can hold a lot of pressure from which you can fit a beer line and serving tap and serve your beer like in a bar using C02 in various ways.

Brewkegtap homepage you'll find everything you need here to buy, but feel free to ask questions on this site. You might want to talk to local home brew clubs as either someone might be selling an old set up or have a 'wedding' set up that can be transported/hired.

As an FYI - gut feel, you are looking at about £400 - about £100ish for 2 taps, regulator and pipes, £100 for gas, £100 for 3 corny kegs and £100 (or more less?) for a freezer or fridge. Loads of things you can do to reduce that, but depending on how much time you have...

A few starter questions - how many pints would you like to lay on for the evening, what sort of beers and how many different beers? How hands on would you be happy for the set up to be (will someone need to manage it, or just set it up and leave it). How will you transport it? Do you or anyone else want to keep the set up after?

An exciting project ahead of you, please keep us informed and post pictures as you get the build going!

Latest posts

Back