seville marmalade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzi wizzi

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone made wine from a tin of prepared seville oranges for making marmalade? I got an 850gm tin from Aldis for 89p, the contents are oranges and water, so no preservatives, but the sell by date is March 2012. If you have a recipe could you share it ?I'd rather try making wine than marmalade !!

Not tried it, except for marmalade! Sevilles are inherently bitter, so probably low in sugar. The tin will contain peel and, more significantly, pith, which you don't want in wine, so not ideal.

Not quite, but close. We had a batch of marmalade (oranges and sugar, not a tin) that wouldn't set. We diluted and fermented. The best I can say is that it was pleasant drunk as a wine spritzer with tonic. As your other respondent says, Seville are a very bitter orange.

However, if you had a still, the orange oil may carry-across very well with the alcohol to give a kind of orange liqueur; maybe add some sugar. Am I allowed to say that?

Thanks, I'd better not bother then since I've only tried a gallon of WOW so far. I'll just have to go with the marmalade.

Just go for it make a gallon or so and see how it goes. If it goes wrong you lost a few quid, if it goes right yo have an interesting brew, but you will definitely have a good experience.

Latest posts

Back