Shere drop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anybody had the pleasure of trying Surrey Hills’ Shere Drop or had a crack at making it. It was the Champion Beer of Britain last year and there is suprisingly little about it online, but enough to make a start at a clone recipe. Just wondered if someone else has already had a go.

From CAMRA "Described as pale in colour with a subtle hint of grapefruit and lemon in the aroma, the wonderful hop bitterness is complemented by a balanced malt flavour."
From the Surrey Hills website "Shere Drop – ABV 4.2% The flagship beer is pale in colour with a subtle hint of grapefruit and lemon in the aroma. The wonderful hop bitterness is complemented by a balanced malt flavour. The beer has a long finish, which is moderately dry."
From protzonbeer.co.uk - Hops are Challenger, First Gold, Pioneer and Cascade, malt is Maris Otter, with additions of cara gold and crystal malts.

I bought the hops on my last order with this in mind so I’m going to have a crack at it over the bank holiday weekend. It’s a long time since I used first gold, I used to grow it in the back garden, but it was taking over the place. Never tried pioneer though, so looking forward to this one. Sounds like a perfect Summer quaffer!

Had a crack at this yesterday

Brew Volume: 25L
Target OG 1045
Target IBU 35

4.5Kg Pale Malt
0.2Kg Caragold
0.3Kg Crystal 60
0.1Kg Wheat

Challenger 30g @ 60 min
Cascade 20g @ 15 min
First Gold 20g @ 10 min
Pioneer 20g @ 5 min
Cascade 20g @ FO
First Gold 20g @ FO
Pioneer 20g @ FO

Yeast US05 - ferment at 18C

Not bad! A nice easy drinking summer beer. The citrus/grapefruit was subtle, compared to chinook or amarillo. next time I would add more hops at the end of the boil.

Latest posts

Back