Sieving my ginger wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogwitch

Reaction score
I made up a batch of ginger wine a few weeks ago and dropped all the grated ginger into the DJ. I now want to sieve it into a new DJ and add some sugar water to up the alcohol (I'm using Gervin G4 yeast).

Naturally, I'm sterilising EVERYTHING.

The fermenting is still running, albeit slowly. My question is: should I give it a good shake before I start to transfer from one DJ to another to get all the yeasties off the bottom or are they best left behind? Any other hints or tips before I get started?

There ought to be plenty of live yeast in the liquid, leave as much of the rubbish on the bottom behind as you can

Don't shake it up - as a rule the only time you need to aerate a brew is when you are moving the wart into the FV but before you pitch the yeast.

Agree with OB.

I've taken to brewing my Ginger Beer/wine by putting all the Ginger/Orange/Limes/lemons etc... into a brew bag which facilitates very easily what you are doing just now.

Works well for me. :thumb:

Thanks for the help. :)

Now decanted to a separate DJ. Gravity was 1050 before the additional sugar which was higher than I expected, I guess it's going to be a long ferment! (9 days so far)

Added the sugar and took it up to 1077 so if that ferments out to 995, I'm expecting an ABV of about 15 so I guess I've got to add some sugar but I'll be a lot more patient now.

Just hoping the fermentation doesn't go mad - it's pretty close to the top of the DJ now...

Leith, I thought about a bag but I'm guessing I'd struggle to get it in and out of the DJ neck... :wha:

Yes, I can see you would have problems getting the bag out thru the neck of a DJ. :thumb: :)
I normally start the ferment in a bucket - including the bag of bits then transfer into an FV with an airlock (DJ whatever), its at this point I would remove the bag - this activity used to be called initial fermenting on the pulp, it was a common wine making activity, the idea being to get as much goodness out of the makings as possible. The yeast would help to break down the content of the pulp.

Good luck with the wine however you approach it.

Back