Slainte from Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvBeer!

Reaction score
New member here.

Greetings from the Rep of Ireland. I used to do homebrew a long time ago, in my late teens/ early twenties where the key reason was more price & strength rather than quality. At the time I was using extract kits and table sugar and the quality of the finished product was considered a success if it was one step above barely drinkable.

I got back into the extract kits a year or so ago and was really impressed with the quality and encouraged by this, moved a few months ago from extract kits to grain. After a couple of very good grain brews (well I liked them anyway), I was lucky enough to get a Grainfather for Christmas and did the first run in this last weekend and have 40 pints of Double IPA in the fermenter and I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome.

One question- how does everyone deal with the steam from the boil step? It was running down the walls afterwards.

Slainte, bruh

I put my boiler beside the back door, open it and use a small desk fan to blow the steam outside. I only started doing this because my GF was complaining about the smell. What smell, I hear you ask? Exactly! But it will solve your problem.

Slan

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

I think that I'll have to look at some form of extraction, but as I use the kitchen, the full on steam condenser probably won't go down too well. I could probably get away with a hood, some flexi pipe and an extraction fan though.

Normally I brew out the back but now that it's winter I'm doing in the kitchen. I just open the door and move closer to the door after the mash. Coincidentally I've started doing 30m boils 😂

Welcome. What part of the island are you based ?
I am lucky to be able to brew in the garage and have an extractor fan above where I boil so no issue with steam.
I'm pretty much as far from the sea as you can be. Stick a pin in a map in the centre of the island and it'll be near my back garden.

Latest posts

Back