Smoked chipotle cherry porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I have brewed a smoked porter a few times from an extract and steeped grains recipe in BYO (I can dig it out if it helps). Now I would like to jazz this up by scaling back the Rauch malt and adding smoked chipotles for their dryness, oiliness and a spicy notes. This, I aim to balance out with some sweet cherry flavour and an American hop finish. (Bear with me, I tasted something like this in Berlin recently and the combination can work)

Anyway, I'll be brewing 32 pints and my question is how (and how much) to add cherries to the wort? Would I take a couple of tubs, make them into a coulis with some sugar and chuck that in at the end? I similarly don't know *quite* how many smoked chipotle flakes to use.

Any feedback/ideas will be gratefully received. From memory, the rest of the recipe is two tins of light malt extract, 1kg of Rauch malt (though I will use less), plus 250g each of roasted barley, black malt and chocolate malt, with Columbus and Cascade hops and US05 yeast.

Latest posts

Back