Snails/slugs have eaten my hop plant leaves what do I do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neale

Reaction score
I've never grown hops before but thought I'd give it a go. So in Early February I planted one rhizome of cascade and one centennial. They started growing after around 1 week with two shoots from the Centennial and one from the Cascade. After 8 weeks I had the these .

Cascade
Cascade week 8.jpg

and Centennial
Centennial week 8.jpg

But a few week ago I noticed something had been eating the cascade leaves. I tried putting down coffee grounds and tea, (apparently snails dont like either of them), which maybe helped a bit, but I came out a few days ago to discover this.

PXL_20240502_130907038.jpg

As you can see I have now put down wool around the bottom of the plants as of yesterday because again its supposed to stop the snails. And I have removed the string as I assume they where climbing up it to get their supper.

I guess my question is, is there anything I can/should do to the cascade plant to give it a chance of survival? whether thats to cut it back, just leave it, give it plant food? It looks like there might be some growth were the original leaves where so I've got some hope that it might survive. The bottom leaves of the Centennial have also been eaten but it has still got a few leaves at the top so I'm hoping it will be ok.

Attachments

• Cascade week 8.jpg
    Cascade week 8.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Centennial week 8.jpg
    Centennial week 8.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240502_130907038.jpg
    PXL_20240502_130907038.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
Thanks thats good news hopefully. I've just bought some copper sheet to put a ring around each plant so hopefully with all the apparent deterants and a bit of sun my plants will spring back into life 🤞

I'd shift any rocks,big stones,debris etc from near the plant if you can as slugs like places to hide. Although it's been wet,when the weather improves and you may need to water your plants do it at the warmer part of the day as it'll give the surface time to dry out before the slugs come out to play. You can also put some slug traps down,buried jar with a bit of beer and keep trying the non chemical methods. Once your plant becomes strong it'll be ok.

I use the dregs of the fermentator in beer traps. Plus any testers or the occasional beer which doesn't taste right. I have ten traps around various vulnerable plants. Works a treat.

Latest posts

Back