So just made a starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont even use a stir plate, just a pop bottle that I shake periodically and it still produces an amazing amout of yeast.

I pitched a starter today. I had a go a pitching at high krausen for the first time too. I did pitch at 26C (Im still using warm weather yeast as my brewing corner is still 23C) but it started fermenting in 3 hours!

Really? thats amazing! 3 hrs is really quick! No messin! I just watched a couple of videos of guys top cropping, looks really easy.

The yeast that I pitched from my starter has fermented out in three/four days days from 1050 to 1014 and the beer tastes amazing and its not even bottle conditioned!

:D

Really? thats amazing! 3 hrs is really quick! No messin! I just watched a couple of videos of guys top cropping, looks really easy.

The yeast that I pitched from my starter has fermented out in three/four days days from 1050 to 1014 and the beer tastes amazing and its not even bottle conditioned!

:D

I think it started in three hours becauese of three things

1) Aeration. I always aerate really well. As a maxi-biaber I need to dilute my concentrated wort. I always put 5L of this dilution water in a jerry can and shake it vigourously. I've found aerating my dilution water a key element in reducing my lag times
2) I pitched at high krausen, which is when the yeast is at it's most vital
3) I piched quite warm at 26C. As mentioned I'm using yeast with a high temp tolerance so shouldn't get any off flavours

1) Aeration. I always aerate really well. As a maxi-biaber I need to dilute my concentrated wort. I always put 5L of this dilution water in a jerry can and shake it vigourously. I've found aerating my dilution water a key element in reducing my lag times
3) I piched quite warm at 26C. As mentioned I'm using yeast with a high temp tolerance so shouldn't get any off flavours

As an aquarium keeper I have a few aquarium pumps for airstones etc I plan on hooking one up to the tap on my FV and pumping air in through the tap into the wort. Most aquarium pumps come with non returning little vales that prevent back flow. Its just a matter of getting an 8mm to 4mm reducer for the difference in the OD of the tubes and making sure all tubes are sanitized. :D

Interesting observations, MyQul. Re no. 2, pitching at high krausen, the reduced lag time is more to do with the evenly dispersed yeast cells. Much of the lag home brewers report is probably associated with yeast clumpiness. A flocculated starter stored for weeks in the fridge shows similar reduced lag, if it's dispersed evenly using a stir plate prior to pitching.

As an aquarium keeper I have a few aquarium pumps for airstones etc I plan on hooking one up to the tap on my FV and pumping air in through the tap into the wort. Most aquarium pumps come with non returning little vales that prevent back flow. Its just a matter of getting an 8mm to 4mm reducer for the difference in the OD of the tubes and making sure all tubes are sanitized. :D

Don't forget to use an air filter, mirsultankhan. 0.2 micron (PTFE) is what I use. I wouldn't bother connecting it via the tap. Just bung it through the top of your FV at the start for an hour or two.

Interesting observations, MyQul. Re no. 2, pitching at high krausen, the reduced lag time is more to do with the evenly dispersed yeast cells. Much of the lag home brewers report is probably associated with yeast clumpiness. A flocculated starter stored for weeks in the fridge shows similar reduced lag, if it's dispersed evenly using a stir plate prior to pitching.

Thanks for the info :hat:. I've also noticed a bigger krausen than usual. This yeast strain (mauribrew 514) doesn't seem to give a big krausen anyway, but usually its about 1 1/2 cm but it's nowabout twice as big at about 1 inch.

Don't forget to use an air filter, mirsultankhan. 0.2 micron (PTFE) is what I use. I wouldn't bother connecting it via the tap. Just bung it through the top of your FV at the start for an hour or two.

an air filter? I hadn't thought of that, hmmm, most aquarium, airpumps uses a 4mm hose, I am wondering where one fits an air filter. I think its a great idea but fitting one inline could prove problematic.

an air filter? I hadn't thought of that, hmmm, most aquarium, airpumps uses a 4mm hose, I am wondering where one fits an air filter. I think its a great idea but fitting one inline could prove problematic.

No problem. My tubing is 4mm ID x 6mm OD. You might recognise the pump, a typical aquarium type:

20151011_142600.jpg

20151011_142541.jpg

that's pretty cool where to get one? My aquarium pump actually has its own air filter but have no idea if it would filter micron sized particles.

The pump was about a tenner on amazon. The filters you can get from various places online. They're 0.2 micron PTFE syringe filters. For gases/air, the membrane must be PTFE. You could probably use your existing pump. Just fit one of these little filters inline. A 0.5 micron stainless air stone is a good option for the other end.

Try top cropping it :hmm:

Think it was a bit small for croppingas it was only 1inch. Also the last time I had a go at top cropping I infected my brew with wild yeast. Probably because I brew in the kitchen and there always a big fruit bowl (Mrs MQ virtually lives on the stuff).
If I ever try top cropping again I'll make one of those top cropping collection devices (a jar with the blowoff tube going in one hole in the top and a airlock in a hole in the other)

The pump was about a tenner on amazon. The filters you can get from various places online. They're 0.2 micron PTFE syringe filters. For gases/air, the membrane must be PTFE. You could probably use your existing pump. Just fit one of these little filters inline. A 0.5 micron stainless air stone is a good option for the other end.

yes I just need the syringe filter and the membrane. I have a long solid tube that I use for harvesting brine shrimps which fits onto the end of my tube that I can fit neatly through the bung. :D

yes I just need the syringe filter and the membrane. I have a long solid tube that I use for harvesting brine shrimps which fits onto the end of my tube that I can fit neatly through the bung. :D

Note the the PTFE membrane is a fixed part of the syringe filter. It can't be removed. The whole thing is disposable, but can be used many times. Store it in a clean bag when not in use and keep it dry. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back