Some new hops need some new ideas please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As above...

I bought some old hops from the Worcester Hop shop on the cheap and could use some ideas on what to brew please!

200g Aurora (apparently Styrian on 'roids') - Was thinking of a single hop Pale Ale but only using at most 50g on 150g of this left. I also thought a Stout?

100g Archer, as i've got the yeast I was thinking of using some of this (or the Aurora) in a saison.

100g Taiheke was thinking again, a single hop pale ale or maybe a neutral bittering hop and this for late boil additions, it had a good write up here https://brulosophy.com/2022/03/10/the-hop-chronicles-taiheke-2020/

100g Motueka, perhaps some with the Taiheke?

100g Marinka, for this one a bitter perhaps, supposedly a bit like Brewers Gold. Although has 'exceptional' spiciness with liquorice, maybe a stout?

I have some American hops and a ton of EKG and Fuggles lying around so can mix them up a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Taiheke is the name for Cascades grown in NZ. Pale ale? I've not used them.

Motueka is bred from Saaz, and does suit a lager. Pale ale too. I like them. Pair well with Nelson but are milder, gentler.

I've used Aurora a few times, fruitier than Styrians, I just mix them with other hops in pales/bitters. They work with English hops and with American hops, I reckon. I made a pale with Citra, Crystal hops and Aurora that I enjoyed. I think they'd work in a red ale, and probably a porter too.

Taiheke is the name for Cascades grown in NZ. Pale ale? I've not used them.

Motueka is bred from Saaz, and does suit a lager. Pale ale too. I like them. Pair well with Nelson but are milder, gentler.

I've used Aurora a few times, fruitier than Styrians, I just mix them with other hops in pales/bitters. They work with English hops and with American hops, I reckon. I made a pale with Citra, Crystal hops and Aurora that I enjoyed. I think they'd work in a red ale, and probably a porter too.

Something like a red ale sounds good, i'd like to let them shine, perhaps a red ale and use the rest in a pale on its own. One of the best beers I did was a styrian hopped pale ale, when I say hopped it had (i think) a grand total of 12g of hops in the boil with a small handful for the whirlpool.

Aurora makes a nice Saison.

I'd be using the Taiheke with a bit of Citra and Chocolate Malt in my Chocolate Limes American Brown Ale. like the sweets, lime upfront then bitter dark chocolate on the finish.

Something like a red ale sounds good, i'd like to let them shine, perhaps a red ale and use the rest in a pale on its own. One of the best beers I did was a styrian hopped pale ale, when I say hopped it had (i think) a grand total of 12g of hops in the boil with a small handful for the whirlpool.
Aurora are not the same as other Styrian hops. I think the original Syrians were Fuggles, Celeia is bred from Fuggle, and Aurora and Bobek were bred from Northern Brewer. I'd say Aurora is the most different. I agree with the Saison idea. For a red, I might be tempted to try pairing Taiheke and Aurora. Just an idea.

Latest posts

Back