Sour ginger beer :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcc

Reaction score
My first batch of ginger beer has come out ever so slightly sour, is there anything I can change in the brew to stop this, currently I'm mixing with some lemonade (mainly as its about 9%, I need advice on how to lower this too please) and its doing the trick but I'd prefer to change the recipe if possible rather than mix with lemonade.

hi mate what was the recipe you followed :)?

could be a simple thing of maybe

a)Too dry? (whats your fg?)

b)too much citric acid

c)maybe alcohol's too much and needs time to round off the 'hotness'

Is it sour or dry ?

It sounds like if you are adding lemonade and it's ok it has just fermented out to dry ( many ginger beer recipes do ). You can add splenda when you keg / bottle which back sweetens it, or you can add some sugar syrup when you serve it.

As said, post your recipe and details and people will be able to help more..

All of the above :)

I've made a few batches of fiery ginger beer so far, really quite addicted to it and it's soo cheeaap to brew too :)

I overdid the lemons on brew one, but it's great now with some artificial sweetner added.

My second had fewer lemons in it and is much easier to drink at a younger age than the first, the third is still fermenting, but should be the same as batch two :)

It's a recipe I got online from a lad who used to brew it out in Saudi, here goes!

1kg fresh ginger, washed and grated
add to 1kg of sugar, a small jar of honey and some fresh water in large pan, bring almost to boil then leave for 24 hours
strain into FV, add 2 tablespoons of bakers yeast, add water up to 5 litres
fermentation stops in about 8 - 9 days

any ideas guys?

PS

1 kilo of sugar, plus honey in a 5 litre brew will give you the high abv you want to avoid.

My brews use 2 kilos of sugar plus 2 x 454g jars of honey in a 25 litre brew, that still comes out quite potent :)

I'm definately going to try that one next, looks like I was way out!
Should I let it settle in a second FV for a bit to drop seds before I prime and bottle, as another problem I encountered was when I opened the bottle it was so fizzy it stirred up all the sediment again BUGGER!!

gregmcc said:
I'm definately going to try that one next, looks like I was way out!
Should I let it settle in a second FV for a bit to drop seds before I prime and bottle, as another problem I encountered was when I opened the bottle it was so fizzy it stirred up all the sediment again BUGGER!!

I did with my first brew, and didn't with the second, I wish I had with the second now as it's got a few too many bits floating around in it :)

I didn't prime mine enough though as it's really not fizzy enough, apart from out the pressure keg where I'm using CO2..

Thinking about the yeast could be makeing quite a difference, I used champagne yeast in my first and cider yeast in my second, the second is less 'harsh' at an early stage. I intend to stick to cider yeast with my ginger beers in future, they can convert lots of sugar to booze, but don't seem to be overly dry, in my very limited experiencec anyway, Graysalchemy seems to be the one to talk to about yeast.

Latest posts

Back