Sparge Tips/Tricks/Upgrades

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJordds

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new to Homebrew and currently BIAB with 2 other friends in a 25L Kettle from The Malt Miller.

I feel like we are getting our processes down for this equipment and will eventually look at getting a more sophisticated 1 vessel system (when we’ve saved enough) but the only area I’m never certain on is our sparge.

Is there something we should be doing? Should we look at retrofitting a sparge arm/ pump system?

We currently take the grain bag to another bucket and run the sparge water through it a few times, our gravity is usually on point but not sure if this is sheer luck or not 😅

All help greatly appreciated!

Hi when i did biab in my old klarstein fullhorn i used to do a dunk sparge, which is basically what you are doing only difference i dunked the bag for about 20 minutes then i would give it a good squeeze, worked for me

Hi when i did biab in my old klarstein fullhorn i used to do a dunk sparge, which is basically what you are doing only difference i dunked the bag for about 20 minutes then i would give it a good squeeze, worked for me
Sounds good! I think we might just need to do our sparge for a little longer to ensure we are getting the last out of the grains, might try the dunking technique next brew

"Dunk sparging" is normal as Rod says. You can give it a good stir at the same time and it'll help.
Lots of people do BIAB without sparging. You just add a bit more grain to compensate for the slightly reduced efficiency, but there is nothing wrong with it. Efficiency is just a number at the end of the day, and whilst you get more sugar from sparging, it's not necessarily true that you get more flavour from doing it.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/efficiency-and-flavour-extraction.101428/

Latest posts

Back