Spirits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who loves the Islay malts should treat themselves to a weeks holiday there, it really is a magical place, haven't been for a couple of years ........

24345li.jpg

whicxv.jpg

There's plenty of souvenier shops as well :whistle:

nat7a.jpg

and just so as I'm not accused of total bias towards Lagavulin, here's my reserve stash :lol:

34e3fqp.jpg

I plan on doing a grande tour of the island distilleries........................

Unfortunately for the foreseeable future it would have to be a virtual one :lol: :lol:

:drunk:

My Mrs decided to take me there as a present one year as she is well aware of my liking for the 'local produce' :!:

We went and she loved the place so much we've had to go back, it's a really peaceful quiet place, although we did nearly have an accident while we were there :shock: as we were driving along one of the roads in the north of the island a herd of several very large red deer decided to leap over the drystone wall from our left and head to the hills on the right :!:

I'm rather partial to venison, but I've seen the damage you can do to your car running into one of these things, it's a fair old mess :(

I am partial to a whiskey or two. Personel favourite at the moment is Ardbeg but i think the best i have tasted was a 50 year old Macallan. Had it at my dads 50th.

Mostly though on the spirit front i go for gin, generally Bombay Saphire or Hendricks but am very partial to a rum (only dark rum, best with orange juice or diet coke and a big squeeze of lemon juice)

Baz Chaz said:
I'm rather partial to venison, but I've seen the damage you can do to your car running into one of these things, it's a fair old mess

I have a great true storyfrom my time living on the west coast of Scotland

Two local lads Donald and Rory were driving along the road back from Inverness after a bit of clay pigeon shooting, when a huge 12 pointer stag jumped out in front of them. Donald swerved to avoid it but inevitably hit the stag. After stopping to asses the damage they found that they hadn't done to much damage so all was good, but wondered what to do with the dear carcass in the middle of the road?

Being unable to pass up an oportunity they decided to but the stag carcass on the back seat of the car. On the way back they decided to stop at a local pub for a quick half as Donald was rather shaken up by his experience. After a quick half they got back into the car and drove off again.

Donald and Rory were busy chatting about the day and the rather large stag carcuss they had in the back of the car, when suddenly two rather large antlers and a baying head appeared behind them. Donald and Rory shat themselves and Donald nearly put the car in a ditch. The stopped the car and got out.

'Whit th' buck dae we dae noo?' Donald said

By this time the half awake stag was rather angry at being couped up and was doing rather a lot of damage to the inside of the old car, as well empty its bowel. Donald, who at this point was wanting to preserve the integrity of his car suggested that they open the back door and allow the stag to escape. Rory on the other hand, who had already decided what he was going to do with his half of the stag suggested that they get the shotgun out and shoot it.

'Ye open th' back duir an' when its it Ah will **** it'

So a plan was hatched. Rory got the shotgun out of the boot and loaded it and Donald positioned himself to open the door.

'Oan th' coont ay thee ye open th' duir an' Ah will ****'.

'Ain tois thee'

Donald opened the door the stag jumped out and BANG Rory fired the gun.

After the smoke cleared they found the stag had done a runner Rory had missed the stag but managed to pepperpot the side of the car :lol: :lol:

So yes Barry stags do make a mess of your car. :lol: :lol:

This is a true story but names have been changed to protect the identity of the parties involved.

graysalchemy said:
Baz Chaz said:
I'm rather partial to venison, but I've seen the damage you can do to your car running into one of these things, it's a fair old mess

I have a great true storyfrom my time living on the west coast of Scotland

Two local lads Donald and Rory were driving along the road back from Inverness after a bit of clay pigeon shooting, when a huge 12 pointer stag jumped out in front of them. Donald swerved to avoid it but inevitably hit the stag. After stopping to asses the damage they found that they hadn't done to much damage so all was good, but wondered what to do with the dear carcass in the middle of the road?

Being unable to pass up an oportunity they decided to but the stag carcass on the back seat of the car. On the way back they decided to stop at a local pub for a quick half as Donald was rather shaken up by his experience. After a quick half they got back into the car and drove off again.

Donald and Rory were busy chatting about the day and the rather large stag carcuss they had in the back of the car, when suddenly two rather large antlers and a baying head appeared behind them. Donald and Rory shat themselves and Donald nearly put the car in a ditch. The stopped the car and got out.

'Whit th' buck dae we dae noo?' Donald said

By this time the half awake stag was rather angry at being couped up and was doing rather a lot of damage to the inside of the old car, as well empty its bowel. Donald, who at this point was wanting to preserve the integrity of his car suggested that they open the back door and allow the stag to escape. Rory on the other hand, who had already decided what he was going to do with his half of the stag suggested that they get the shotgun out and shoot it.

'Ye open th' back duir an' when its it Ah will **** it'

So a plan was hatched. Rory got the shotgun out of the boot and loaded it and Donald positioned himself to open the door.

'Oan th' coont ay thee ye open th' duir an' Ah will ****'.

'Ain tois thee'

Donald opened the door the stag jumped out and BANG Rory fired the gun.

After the smoke cleared they found the stag had done a runner Rory had missed the stag but managed to pepperpot the side of the car :lol: :lol:

So yes Barry stags do make a mess of your car. :lol: :lol:

This is a true story but names have been changed to protect the identity of the parties involved.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This cant be true! It is a great story whatever

Ardbeg for me :)

I have a bottle of Ultimate in the drinks cabinet awaiting an excuse to open it, at those prices it will be waiting a few more weeks yet :)

When I flew around the world a lot I use to pick up the odd bottle duty free from various places, back then I'd split the purchases between Ardbeg, Laphroaig and a very special 18 year old cask strength Glen Morangie that was a bugger to get hold of.

Sadly I'm now UK bound and don't get the duty free any more, although I've found out I can get the GM direct from the distillery with a little luck :D

I have tried, and quite enjoyed, the stuff that James May had on his drinking about Britain show, he ran a light weight car on it, but for the life of me I can't recall the brand. It was OK, but not in the same league as the my three faves :)

In my youth I used to drink southern comfort and vodka, very good mix honest. Now generally whisky, mainly Highland and Glenrothes but any other that comes my way, also I love a gin and rose's lime half and half, a Gimlet as drunk by Phillip Marlowe in the long goodbye. I am trying different gins and found Tanqueray to be my favourite so far.

TheMulleredMule said:
Picked up a bottle of dimple on e-bay for £50, hope i was'nt robbed :wha:

34s5esj.jpg

Eddie.

What's the year on it? I can't find one with the lion rampant.

Baz Chaz said:
we did nearly have an accident while we were there :shock: as we were driving along one of the roads in the north of the island a herd of several very large red deer decided to leap over the drystone wall from our left and head to the hills on the right :!:

I'm rather partial to venison, but I've seen the damage you can do to your car running into one of these things, it's a fair old mess :(

I've been offered 4 haunches of venison for £30 , do you think it's too deer?

Latest posts

Back