Step mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj65

Reaction score
Hi reading the thread what are you planning to brew this year, quite a few are planning Belgium brews.
Ive been trying to nail these for a couple of years now with varying degrees of success.
I have researched quite a bit and spoken to a few belgium brewers and it seems step mashing is an integral part of getting a belgium style beer.
I Have tried this quite a few times this year it does seem to give the final brew something different, i havent a clue what the chemical reaction is and not sure i want to know( theres enough other things to get your head round)
So im wondering what other brewers have experienced with this.

There are two keys to brewing a good Belgian beer in my opinion. Firstly, use a quality liquid yeast and treat it well (proper pitch rate, oxygenation, temperature etc.) Secondly, digestibility, that is it should have high attenuation and be easy drinking. It's this second point where step mashing comes in. It can accentuate maltiness while increasing fermentability, so it improves the malt flavours while giving a dry, light finish. Adding some simple sugar (candi syrup or table sugar) helps keep it light too.

Now cue the links to Brulosophy experiments showing otherwise :lol:

Latest posts

Back