Stevie123s brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not try a dry stout? This one worked out really well, you'll need black malt and roast barley. And some brewing sugar, or you can use table sugar.

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.95 %
Bitterness (IBU): 33

3.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (74%)
0.360 kg Corn Sugar (9.00%)
0.226 kg Crystal (5.7%)
0.180 kg Chocolate (4.5%)
0.180 kg Roasted Barley (4.5%)
0.100 kg Black Malt (2.5%)

20.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 75 Minutes
15.0 g Progress Leaf (7.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Or an English Pale ale, which I did with Northdown and First Gold and was great. EKG would be a good sub for First Gold:

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Bitterness (IBU): 37.0

3.900 kg Pale Malt (92.11%)
0.340 kg Caramalt (7.89%)

20.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
20.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Steep)

5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Ive never had a porter before my lhbs recommended it so gave it a try its still very young but my beers never get age lol still cant make my mind up on this one very strong tasting and very different to my normal drinks

This is an awesome beer. I've made it at least three times. My last bottles are about six weeks old now and are to die for, this beer definately gets better and better with age.. I usually have one as the last beer of a session after drinking milds/ordinary bitters as It's quite a heavy beer full of chocolate and caramel flavours

Thought id put this cheeky number on today
Czech Pilsner
Pilsner Malt 4.66kg
Hops
Saaz 46g 60mins
Saaz 19g 15 mins
Saaz 19g fame out

Yeast WLP802

Thanks for that Clibit the book said 75 mins on doing the boil now i will extend it
Regards Steve

If the book says 75 maybe stick with that. I think most homebrewers do 90 with pilsner malt but it's a source of debate, given the tiny quantity of wort boiled compared to commercial pilsner brewers. The longer boil is to evaporate DMS, but when I was in Bratislava recently some of the draught pilsners tasted quite a bit of DMS and/or Diacetyl and were meant to, obviously. A sweet, corn like thing, and possibly some diacetyl butteryness. And I liked them! And as I discovered yesterday, at a beer tasting that deliberately introduced faulty flavours into beer, a fault is only really a fault if you don't like the effect it has!

Tbh i thought 75 mins was a bit funny all of my other brews have been 60 or 90 mins never seen 75 on a recipe

This one has went off like a rocket getting very close to the lid might have to get the blow off tube ready, Really hope this one turns out good used to go to prauge every 5/6 for the weekend to sup there lovely beers til the wife put a stop to that one:doh:

Yeah I've never been that interested in lagers but I had some lovely draught Pilsners in Bratislava last month. Interested to hear how yours goes. You got temp control?

Yes ive got a brew fridge Clibit if it turns out any good il send you some for all your help :cheers:

I reckon you might be on to a winner. Good luck. In Bratioslava I started wondering what a Pilsner with different hops in would be like. You know, Amarillo, Citra etc. Lightly hopped, not clubbed to death.

Yes ive got a brew fridge Clibit if it turns out any good il send you some for all your help :cheers:

Can I have some too? I don't even like lager but I'll have anything free.

I must have had several thousand pounds worth of free coffee out of waitrose and I don't even do me shopping there :mrgreen:

I stopped drinking lager a while ago now due to my local giving beer of any kind a bad name! Thats why i started brewing a challenge to make something worth drinking, I miss my trips to prauge they have some very fine beers indeed and the people are really nice

Can I have some too? I don't even like lager but I'll have anything free.

I must have had several thousand pounds worth of free coffee out of waitrose and I don't even do me shopping there :mrgreen:

Haha you certainly can

Might have to stick a Pilsner on the list, but no chance til I get temp control, or next winter. I am wondering about using one of the NZ hops bred from German hops, Motueka (a Saaz variation), Wakatu, Pacifica, for example.

Thought id put this cheeky number on today
Czech Pilsner
Pilsner Malt 4.66kg
Hops
Saaz 46g 60mins
Saaz 19g 15 mins
Saaz 19g fame out

Yeast WLP802

OG started at 1050 was expected to be 1048 took reading today down to 1010
was expected to be fg of 1014. Bit of a disaster with the temp control as the silly wife had turned the brew fridge off:doh: So who nos what this is going to turn out like it was 16c when i took the temp reading today.

Fingers crossed! 16C not a disaster, just hope it didn't get much higher, doubt it did. Reckon it'll be ok.

Doing Fullers London Porter meself, again, on saturday. Coming to the last few bottles of the last batch I made. It's become my 'house' porter

Marris O 4.23kg
Brown 666g
Crystal 555g
Choccy 110g

Northern Brewer 36g 60mins
EKG 12g 10min
IBU about 36

Have cultured up a Fullers yeast from a bottle of Fullers 1845

I've got a farming friend that would like me to brew some beer using water from his bore hole. I don't think it has been tested but it is hard as it scales up their kettles etc. Can't decide whether to boil the water first, might do one with and one without. Anyway the hardness makes me think I should do something darker and I was thinking of a porter. Saw your post (and your recommendation!) and thought it would be a good one to do.

I've already got chocolate and crystal on order. I don't have any brown but I do have a bag of something I bought a while back. Unfortunately it's not labelled but it is slightly darker than amber. Could be another crystal:wha:. How critical is the brown malt ? I've got some black malt and roasted barley coming, what would the best substitute be ? A mixture or get some brown ?

Yeast wise I've got a choice of Mangrove british, safale 04, US 05 or mangrove Newcastle. Or I could suffer an 1845 ;) and make a starter. How did you cultivate it and how long did it take ?

Sorry for the long post.:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back