Stevie123s brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard water works really well for this porter - I live in London and my water is pretty hard.

I would say that brown malt is crucial to the receipe, and also lends some historic authenticity to a porter. I would defineately get some brown malt if you're going to do this receipe. It wont be the same without it. If your having trouble getting hold of brown, you can actually make some in your oven using Marris Otter. Google how to do it. If you cant find some decent instructions I can do a scan of my porter and stout book which tell you how.

S04 or US05 would be fine. The last time i made this I used Notty/gervin G12. Culturing up yeast from a bottle is easy but time consuming - it usually takes 2-3 weeks for me to do it, but I find it a fun side project to do alongside brewing

Fingers crossed! 16C not a disaster, just hope it didn't get much higher, doubt it did. Reckon it'll be ok.

Temp must have got higher Clibit as there is a off taste dont no if its because its young or what but does not taste like lager, So what do you think leave alone and wait and see or try dry hopping to try and rescue ?
Regards Steve

Also Steve, you have a lager yeast in there with pilsner malt. I don't do lagers, but I'm pretty sure you have to condition them for a while before the flavour is right. You have DMS from the malt and sulphur from the yeast. Be patient, hopefully all will turn out well. The temp range for the yeast is 10-13, so your wasn't ideal, but it's too early to know what effect it has had I reckon. Here's ten tips for brewing lager from Brew Your Own magazine...

https://byo.com/stories/item/9-10-keys-to-great-lager

Also Steve, you have a lager yeast in there with pilsner malt. I don't do lagers, but I'm pretty sure you have to condition them for a while before the flavour is right. You have DMS from the malt and sulphur from the yeast. Be patient, hopefully all will turn out well. The temp range for the yeast is 10-13, so your wasn't ideal, but it's too early to know what effect it has had I reckon. Here's ten tips for brewing lager from Brew Your Own magazine...

https://byo.com/stories/item/9-10-keys-to-great-lager

Thanks Clibit you have been as helpful as ever :thumb:

Or an English Pale ale, which I did with Northdown and First Gold and was great. EKG would be a good sub for First Gold:

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Bitterness (IBU): 37.0

3.900 kg Pale Malt (92.11%)
0.340 kg Caramalt (7.89%)

20.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
20.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Steep)

5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Well tried loads of these over the weekend and its turned out to be the best AG ive done so far :drink: trouble is its going down to easy a big thankyou to Clibit yet again for the recipe
Regards Steve

Yeah I loved my version of that beer too, Northdown and First Gold. Was gorgeous.

Yeah I loved my version of that beer too, Northdown and First Gold. Was gorgeous.

Im going to have to do another one of these next weekend didnt have time this weekend, Loving the move from kits, AG is a much nicer drink and my friends cant believe ive made it at times also going to try another kind of style of brew dont no what yet though

Try a stout with US05 yeast. If you like stouts. Another of my successes which surprises my mates.

Thought id put this cheeky number on today
Czech Pilsner
Pilsner Malt 4.66kg
Hops
Saaz 46g 60mins
Saaz 19g 15 mins
Saaz 19g fame out

Yeast WLP802
Well its bottle day for this one thought id have a cheeky sip to see if it tastes anything like the real thing, Its actually turning into a nice tasting larger! however i dont think il be doing this again stick to the ales i think.

Thinking about doing a apa but really hoppy on sat morning and dont no what to do on sunday morning!. The wife has been away this week so lots of nice chaps have been around destroying my stash this week so i cant be doing that bad at biab lol. Can anyone recommend any recipes for the apa and maybe something they have brewed that was what they feel was a bit different .
Steve

This was good, and simple. Very like Dark Star APA:

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.28 %
Bitterness (IBU): 32.2
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (93.02%)
0.150 kg Caramalt (6.98%)

7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
7.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
7.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 g/L)
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 g/L)
3.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment with Safale US-05

Thanks for that Clibit yet again, I will try that on sat morning i appreciate your help ! So thats sat morning planned has anyone anything for sunday morning?
Regards Steve

A lovely stout:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.52 %
Bitterness (IBU): 38.4

1.700 kg Maris Otter Malt (75.06%)
0.200 kg Roasted Barley (8.83%)
0.190 kg Cane Sugar (8.39%)
0.100 kg Crystal 60 (4.42%)
0.075 kg Chocolate (3.31%)

18.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.8 g/L)
3g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment with Safale US-05

This was really lovely, a brown ale/mild kind of beer, really tasty. I've adapted it a bit based on your list of hops in stock from earlier, it's similar to Orkney Dark Island:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.90 %
Bitterness (IBU): 34.2

1.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (75.57%)
0.180 kg Brown Sugar, Light (9.07%)
0.125 kg Wheat Malt (6.3%)
0.120 kg Crystal 60 (6.05%) (OR OTHER CRYSTAL)
0.060 kg Chocolate (3.02%)

12.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (I used Aurora)
10.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (I used Aurora)
12.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (I used Centennial)
12.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Steep at 80C) (I used Centennial).
3g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment with Safale US-05 or Mauribrew Ale yeast

If you buy one hop for this, get the Centennial. Aurora is cheap though, maybe get that too! But Northdown is a decent sub for Aurora, as is Northern Brewer. Just leave the wheat out if you have none.

1st brew sorted second planned for later today,Think i can fit another one in on sunday?
So this is what i have left
marris otter 8kg
roasted barley 1kg
biscuit 1 kg
chrstal 1kg
cara red 1 kg
black malt 205g
choc 200g
Loads of different hops got a new one today though Motueka
Any thoughts ?
Regards Steve

Motueka is top! I knocked up a pale ale yesterday with Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin and Motueka.

What are your two brews today? And list the hops. And what else do you fancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back