Still water in pet bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
Can i use the still water in the 1 ltr pet bottles for my brew ?
I have another brew on the go but no bottles left.
Looking in the local supermarket i see they have still water.
Is the water ok to use then use the bottle to put my brew into.

Any advise would be nice.
Thanks

wow fast reply :thumb:
I have read that they need to be pet bottle,how can i check if they are ?

ipbr21054 said:
wow fast reply :thumb:
I have read that they need to be pet bottle,how can i check if they are ?

Usually there will be a little logo printed on either the paper or embossed in to the plastic... Altho I have seen a few bottles I assume to be pet bottles (altho I haven't used, so couldn't confirm) where I never saw any label... So would be nice to see comments from others just to confirm as well :)

PET is a type of plastic it is whether the bottle is designed to take pressure which is key. If they look like a pop bottle with the indents in the bottom

plastic-bottles1.jpg

then you should be ok

if they don't

167934943_f61a850d96.jpg

Then no.

Just looking in my recycle bin i have a used lemonaid bottle that has the recycle triangle with the words PET below and there is a 1 within the trinagle,it also has the indents on the bottom.
I think i will look out for this at the store.

Thanks

I use 1 litre bottles all the time. My rule is if it comes with fizzy drinks in it, it's ok to use. Never had a problem yet ;)
:drink:

I have now purchase some bottles from Morrisons.
Looking on the shelf all the fizzy drink bottles had the logo as shown below on the them.
The cheapest bottle with this logo was Morrisons own lemonaid at 18p per 2 ltr bottle.
There were other bottles,like the still water i mentioned in a previous post but had the triangle with 01 inside but PETE below it.
I did not supply a photo of this as i thought it would confuse the issue,so only shown logo of item purchased.

Home brew shop 24 x 1ltr bottles = £14.99
Morrisons 12 x 2ltr bottles = £2.16
I now have an extra £12 towards another kit :lol:
After drinking all this Lemonaid by the time i need the bottles Dentist Invoice £100 :mrgreen:

petbottle.jpg

I only purchased 6 at the moment and even got a stare from the lady on the till.
Just as well i did not get all 12 in one go,what would she of done then :eek:

Back