Stir plate recommendations for Yeast Starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi There,

Having some downtime on Christmas day and have been watching some videos about yeast starters. This is the next step I plan on taking to improve the beer I make. Was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on where to get the equipment?

This is what I've found so far:

Stir plate:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-stir-plate-Bas02-stirrer-for-home-brew-yeast-starter-2-stir-bars/263349458089?hash=item3d50d9d4a9:m:myboo_bEpFNJNDVFesTiQOQ

Flask:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONICAL-ERLENMEYER-FLASK-1000ML-BOROSILICATE/dp/B009YUB6K0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514229514&sr=8-3&keywords=conical+flask+1000ml

Bung:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/50MM-FOAM-STOPPER-PLUG-AUTOCLAVABLE/dp/B00OHAJ8HA/ref=pd_vtph_79_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=R8ZZYHM6YKZQRE87VTQV

Also a couple of additional questions:
How long would I live the stir plate on for to make the best possible starter?
How would I store it? Could I just leave the foam stopper bung in and leave it in the fridge till I pitch?

Thanks so much to anyone that can offer any advice on this and Merry Christmas!

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There,

Thank you for this!

Read through all 28 pages of the thread! To be honest, I do not trust myself with electrics so think purchasing might be easier. I know it looks relatively simple but for the sake of 20 quid (and wanting to use it early Jan) ordering might be better. Do you think the one I suggested would fit the bill? I can't see why not?

Also couldn't see anything about storing it but some people did steer away from using bungs and just used foil. Would this work for storing it in the fridge too?

Also Colin, this might seem really stupid but what is the need for such a big starter? I am going to be making 20-23l brews and our brews won't go much over 1.060 and are usually nearer 1.050 OG. One's I have seen online do much smaller ones (using a 1000ml flask). The reason why I ask is to gain more knowledge and also because I've found the below for £12.00 delivered and 3000ml are considerably more.

https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/academy-glass-conical-flask-2000ml-huge

Thank you again!

I have a 2L flask. As liquid yeasts are expensive I overbuild the starter then keep some in the fridge to make another starter for later brews as needed.

I have a 2L flask. As liquid yeasts are expensive I overbuild the starter then keep some in the fridge to make another starter for later brews as needed.

Thanks for this. May I ask (again stupid questions).
How do you overbuild? Do you make the starter and then redo the starter (by repeating the process of adding chilled DME) on top of the original yeast that you have grown?

Also how do you go about splitting what is in the conical flask? If I did overbuild how long would the new yeast stay good in the fridge for? And just as importantly how do you store your yeast in the fridge (i.e. foil or bung or something else)?

Thanks all, these responses are really helping!

Thanks for this. May I ask (again stupid questions).
How do you overbuild? Do you make the starter and then redo the starter (by repeating the process of adding chilled DME) on top of the original yeast that you have grown?

Also how do you go about splitting what is in the conical flask? If I did overbuild how long would the new yeast stay good in the fridge for? And just as importantly how do you store your yeast in the fridge (i.e. foil or bung or something else)?

Thanks all, these responses are really helping!

Not stupid questions at all. Overbuilding is just making a bigger starter than you need in order to keep the leftover. I keep mine in sanitised airtight jars, jam jars or those with the rubber ring will do. In the fridge the yeast settles and sticks to the bottom and you can decant off most of the spent wort. Then, when you want to reuse the yeast you just swill it and unstick it, then pour into starter wort as you would a new liquid yeast vial. Yeast stays good in fridge for a few months. In fact, it can last much longer than that if you step up your starters, which is when you make a small starter, then use that to make a bigger starter, but you needn't worry about that for now.

Also Colin, this might seem really stupid but what is the need for such a big starter? I am going to be making 20-23l brews and our brews won't go much over 1.060 and are usually nearer 1.050 OG.

Hi!
This is from the BeerSmith blog:
Research varies, but a starter of 1 liter will yield approx 150 billion cells and a two liter starter will yield from 200-240 billion cells
If you are preparing a 1 litre starter then you are going to need a bigger flask than 1 litre; I bought a 2 litre flask, but now realise that 3 litres would have been a more practical size for bigger starters.
You are going to buy once - it may be a lot more expensive, but buy for the future.
Having said that, this 2 litre flask is cheap: https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/academy-glass-conical-flask-2000ml-huge

I've got that stirplate. It works fine and has been completely reliable so far. I use it with a 2l flask.

The flask. Buy the next biggest one up from the one you think you want. I got a 2l and that's fine for a 1.5l ale starter but now I'm looking at lagers and wishing I'd bought the 3l to avoid the hassle of a stepped starter.

All good advice and think I'm getting more with it now. Just a couple more questions.
Foxbat, do you think the stir plate would be capable of holding a 3l conical flask? If so I might be persuaded to think ahead and splash out a bit more. If I do not, the next stir plate up is 60 pounds so I am looking at the difference between 40 all in or over 100!
Secondly, brilliant advice on the jam jars. In the short term, say I was using my starter in the next couple of days, would it be ok to stay in the conical flask with the foil? I did mention foam bungs earlier but am I right in thinking no one uses them?

Also I did just find this but am assuming this wouldn't be fit for purpose?
https://apcpure.com/product/beaker_low_form_borosilicate_glass_kimble_3000ml

Foxbat, do you think the stir plate would be capable of holding a 3l conical flask?

Yes, 3l would be no problem. Attached is a pic of it with the 2l on it. The 3l won't be that much bigger.

starter-stir-plate.jpg

Hi!
This is from the BeerSmith blog:
Research varies, but a starter of 1 liter will yield approx 150 billion cells and a two liter starter will yield from 200-240 billion cells
If you are preparing a 1 litre starter then you are going to need a bigger flask than 1 litre; I bought a 2 litre flask, but now realise that 3 litres would have been a more practical size for bigger starters.
You are going to buy once - it may be a lot more expensive, but buy for the future.
Having said that, this 2 litre flask is cheap: https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/academy-glass-conical-flask-2000ml-huge

Do you struggle with a 2l starter in a 2l flask? Mine has enough space in the neck that it’s fine during the boil (using anti foam kind you) and during ferment.

I have a 2000ml flask and found I could start with 2 litres in the flask if I was careful boiling it at the beginning. It can boiled down to 1750ml before pitching yeast, then you can save 250ml for future use and chill and settle the 1500ml to pour off most of the fermented wort before pitching.

Do you struggle with a 2l starter in a 2l flask? Mine has enough space in the neck that it’s fine during the boil (using anti foam kind you) and during ferment.
Hi DoctorMick do i understand you correctly here in that you that after boiling and during fermentation you add antifoam to the flask? I tried doing a 2Lt starter in my 2Lt flask and ended gushing over the top. If so this could save me some expense in not having to buy a 3Lt flask or from trying a demijohn on my starter plate.

Hi DoctorMick do i understand you correctly here in that you that after boiling and during fermentation you add antifoam to the flask? I tried doing a 2Lt starter in my 2Lt flask and ended gushing over the top. If so this could save me some expense in not having to buy a 3Lt flask or from trying a demijohn on my starter plate.

I read that because the demijohn has a thick curved base, it is no good for a stir plate. Also it's easier to boil the wort in the flask thus sterilising the flask at the same time. I use a calor gas camping stove, like this.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3407497

It depends. I found lager yeast to be easier to handle as less krausen. That is until it had been stepped up a few times then i added 1.25l of wort and it frothed over like a volcano. London ale yeast3 went everywhere when i tried putting 1.75l in it. I have to get a larger flask no choice.

Latest posts

Back