Stirring the mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason42

Reaction score
Hi all,
Quick question. Do you stir the mash once the grain is mixed in and up to temp? I’ve just got an oatmeal stout mash going in a Klarstein mash kettle and I’m finding conflicting advice. My gut says to stir now and then. Any thoughts?

The whole idea of a recirculating mash is it recirculates through the grain bed, also depends how fluid the mash is. It is really up to you if you want to do a stir do it very gently.

The whole idea of a recirculating mash is it recirculates through the grain bed, also depends how fluid the mash is. It is really up to you if you want to do a stir do it very gently.
Thanks:hat:I think I’ll give it a gentle stir half way though.

If you do BIAB or mash in a coolbox or don't recirculate, it's worth stirring. I get better sugar extraction and efficiency by stirring every 20 minutes in a 60 minute mash.

If you do BIAB or mash in a coolbox or don't recirculate, it's worth stirring. I get better sugar extraction and efficiency by stirring every 20 minutes in a 60 minute mash.
I started out intending to stir it once at the beginning, once gently in the middle and then at the mash out. But, as I totally lack any form of self control, I couldn’t leave it alone and stirred it every 15mins until I got bored. Boiling nowathumb..

I started out intending to stir it once at the beginning, once gently in the middle and then at the mash out. But, as I totally lack any form of self control, I couldn’t leave it alone and stirred it every 15mins until I got bored. Boiling nowathumb..
Did it improve efficiency?

Latest posts

Back