Stone brewing Imperial stout clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
Hi I’m hoping to brew this imperial after summer ready for winter supping but though I’d get a bit of advice. I’ve never done a yeast starter for any of my beers and tbh I find the idea of something else to think about and prepare quite daunting as it’s something else to go wrong or another risk of infection. So I emailed MM querying what they would advise as a dry yeast to just sprinkle on the aerated wort. They’ve suggested Nottingham dry yeast and said that as it’s a big beer, the calculator ‘brewers friend’ suggests pitching at least 4 packets- is this right?? Seems excessive to me as I only pitched 2x S-04 for my other imperial stout (22litres at 8.5% abv) and this came out fine.
Any advice as always very welcome!
Dave

Attachments

• 98A20D10-6C6F-4806-A62B-DFA681BBD886.png
    98A20D10-6C6F-4806-A62B-DFA681BBD886.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 4
I would only use 2 to ferment. If you are bottling I would also get a pack of F-2 and I would add 2-3g to the bottling bucket to make sure it carbonates. Nottingham goes up to 14% so you should be ok but these are expensive beers and F-2 is cheap insurance to flat beer which is common with stronger stouts.

I would only use 2 to ferment. If you are bottling I would also get a pack of F-2 and I would add 2-3g to the bottling bucket to make sure it carbonates. Nottingham goes up to 14% so you should be ok but these are expensive beers and F-2 is cheap insurance to flat beer which is common with stronger stouts.
I use a fermentasaurus uni tank so I ferment and dispense (into bottles) all in this one fv. Would I just tip the F-2 dry yeast into the fv before pressurising and bottling? I’m assuming this probably won’t allow the yeast to fully and equally absorb into the beer?

Back