Storing Bottles and Explosions...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernBrewer

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'll be about to bottle my first batch of homebrew beer in the near future and the thing that it concerning me most is bottles exploding and hurting one of my housemates! I know in theory as long as I don't over-prime then I shouldn't get bottle bombs...but it still worries me slightly - I'd also like to store my beer in a presentable way if possible.

Is there a certain time-frame within which bottles will usually explode if they're going to? e.g. the warm fermentation phase after bottling? If so could I keep them in a plastic lidded tub for this period then shelve and display them for the cold phase onwards when they might be safer?

Thanks in advance,

NB

Bottle bombs are very unpredictable. If you don't over prime you won't have a problem. I store mine in a storage box just in case I have over primed. I haven't managed to yet. If you are very worried, you could always use a soda stream? Initial expense is a lot but you won't have any problems with those little bombs.

But seriously, stick to the guide of 1/2 tsp per bottle and you will be fine.

I've been keeping mine in cardboard boxes. I had one that blew (base blew off) but theres a possibility that I may have dropped the bottle on a hard floor weakening it.

I take them out when I need them. You might want to consider buying some plastic bottles as they are safer, I just got some and they look a lot better than I thought they would.

If you use a hydrometer to ensure that fermentation has finished and then batch prime to make sure all the bottles have equal amounts of priming sugar, then you should be fairly safe!

You can also store them in a strong box until you are more confident with the process.

chrig said:
If you use a hydrometer to ensure that fermentation has finished and then batch prime to make sure all the bottles have equal amounts of priming sugar, then you should be fairly safe!

You can also store them in a strong box until you are more confident with the process.
Bottle bombs are mainly down to bottling before fermentation is complete . You would need a silly amount to prime with to make bottle bombs (unless it is already a damaged bottle as mentioned) like more than 20g per bottle (but you would get gushers ) So insure fermentation is complete .

Thanks chaps! I'll make sure it's fermented out fully with my hydrometer and just go with 1/2tsp to prime. Might keep the first batch in a box just for peace of mind until I'm confident they're safe :thumb:

Back