Strain For My Other Styles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm about settled on Thames Valley for my ESB, which also will likely handle a stout and porter, and northern brown ale well.

It doesn't list the others I want to brew, which are a mild, IPA, old ale, and barleywine. And maybe it would. Anyone do so?

I've washed and saved S-04, but I have no idea what it's good for. I've only tried an ESB and found I don't care for it. I do think it would likely do well enough for a stout or porter. But the others?

I have no qualms about ditching the S-04 and finding a different liquid strain that would be good.

Suggestions?

Whitelabs WLP002 is a great yeast for English beers, for very high gravity beers WLP099 might be a better choice.

WLP004 is great for a dry Stout and brewed a Porter with it as well. I didn't enjoy my Stouts until i tried this.

That is the guinness strain I believe :thumb:

Not sure whether I would use it on ESBs though..

Hard to know whwat to suggest there are so many choices and I have only tried a few..

My current brew is with cultured yeast from a Shepherd Neame bottle as reccommended by MyQul.. So far the tiny sample drops from the fermenter i tasted were excellent.. I would reccommend that but getting that in Texas might be difficult..

I do like London Ale III though that is Wyeast only I think 1318..

One thing for sure , I know it causes controversy but I think these styles benefit from a liquid strain (at this moment in time)

I can highly recommend Wyeast1469 yorkshire ale. It's got quite a high attenuation (about 80%) but leaves the beer malty with a dry finish. Also nice fruity esters but dont ferment it abouve about 18C as it can give overwhelming appley flavours - which happened to the first brew i put it in that i fermented at 20C

Latest posts

Back