strong ipa for my first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryls

Reaction score
hi,

sorry noob questions here. Beer wise at the moment I've been really liking fizzy strong ipas. Think kernel ipa or punk ipa. I used to drink a lot of lager and still have a bit. I don't mind stout and I'm not at all into 'nutty brown ales'

so I'm thinking as a first kit beer brew the better brew ipa is a good start, maybe put less water in to make it stronger (brew it short?) and possibly try a simple dry hopping by adding a teabag of hops (undecided so far but a floral variety) after a few days fermentation. then bottle it with a carbonation drop to give it some fizz.

thoughts?

Am I getting ahead of myself for a first brew? :)

cheers.

Good plan imo. Brewdog dry hop at 20g/gallon, so you would need 100g hops for the batch. Centennial are big and punchy, nelson sauvin very tasty, cascade are very floral and classic - sierra Nevada pale ale used them. Any of the c hops are good. Except for cluster. It's a lie.

Brewing short is certainly good for well, improving everything. Including upping the abv! You can also pump it with extra brew enhancer which will up the abv without adversely affecting the body and bitterness. Make sure it's the 50/50 dme and glucose one!

Back