Stuck APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJC

Reaction score
I've had my Young's APA on the go for 2 1/2 weeks now. It all started off well and began with a SG of 1048. Unfortunately I went away for a long weekend and turned off the heating. When I returned the temperature of the FV was showing 14c when usually it hovers around the 18c mark. I've taken two readings on consecutive days and they both show 1023. There's still a large head of krausen and the temperature's gone back to 18c now that the heating's back on but I'm a bit concerned that the fermentation has stopped.

Any advice?

Do you mean there's a thick layer of foam covering the top of the beer? If so it must still be fermenting because normally when your fermentation stops or finishes, that all disappears.

Yes, is that not called the Krausen then?

I did think it would be fermenting when the foam is present as previous experience has showed that to be the case however it's the stuck SG that has me confused.

All is not lost! Checked the gravity today and it's dropped a couple of notches so it looks like getting the temperature back up to 18c has given the yeast a kick.

Latest posts

Back