Sunday morning dilemma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spit

Keepersbrew
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning all I have a bit of a dilemma I have just started a mm summer pilsner and on reading the instructions I find I need 2 packets of yeast but only one included in kit.
I have ordered another packet rather than try make a yeast starter.
My question is can I store the wort until the other packet comes or pitch one packet and pitch the second one when it arrives or use a different yeast and take it in a different direction.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Next time I will read the instructions beforehand I promise.

Get the one packet in straight away.
Leaving wort with no yeast is an open invitation for bacteria to infect it.
Carefully add the second packet when you receive it.

Chuck the packet of yeast into todays brew. Then add the second when it arrives. You would probably be fine with just one packet anyway

No point making a separate starter for it... Your wort will act the same as a starter.

I would throw the yeast in and add the second as soon as if you think it is essential(@ 1.045 the lager could run with one packet of yeast unless you are fermenting low then 2 may be needed). You can store wort if put in a cube from hot for weeks.
Other option is keep covered and then re-pastuerise/boil again just to kill anything off but not really what I would recommend just a last resort option.

Latest posts

Back