Super fast yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krone9

Reaction score
So I did my first batch in the robobrew at the weekend - love it and am already planning another this weekend.
OG measured at 1.054 (5 gallon brew, 5kg maris otter - single mash)

But....put 12g of Muntons Premium Gold yeast in on Saturday late afternoon and brought the fermenter inside to do its thing.

It didn't seem to do much - its been very cold at night here, and the heating wasn't always on. I did notice it had started fermenting but not super vigorously. Checked it again on Tuesday and it was doing nothing. This morning - still nothing so I gave it a shake (without removing the lid) and it bubbled a bit but then stopped.

Impatience got the better of me so I took a measurement from it just now and its coming in about 1.016 - which seems pretty good but I wasn't expecting it to get there until next Saturday!! I was planning to then add another load of hops.

Bit unsure whether to stick with the plan or to change - seems like its probably done all the fermenting it was going to do but...not sure. Will take another read on Saturday/Sunday I think.

I'm still a bit new to this to know what the wort should taste like at this point....any advice appreciated!

Hi @Krone9, yes leave it a couple of days and take gravity readings, I have an FV that seals but never blubs in the airlock if you know what I mean (I only use it when the others are full) the wort will taste sweet if it's not finished but should taste like the brew you are doing, I usually leave any brew that I do 10 days to 2 weeks before bottling

It doesn't seem surprising. The gravity drop is not linear. Most of the action happens within a few days of the yeast getting going, then it just creeps down over the rest of the time until you reach FG.

The lag in final fermentation can be quite long too, one of mine dropped real quick to 1012 last weekend so was thinking of bottling on Monday but it's now Thursday and there's still some CO2 pressure on the lid.

Didn't think of that- I'll do another reading when I add hops at the weekend

Latest posts

Back