Supermarket juice wine and Wurzels orange wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at trying for as close to a red, should I try this or is it doomed to failure?
Do I need Citric acid or anything else, already got plenty of toilet roll.

5 lts red grape Lidl £0.85*5 £4.25
3 lts prune juice Sainsburys 3 for £2 £2
1 lts Strawberry Raspberry Blackberry Smoothie Tesco 2 for £3 £1.50
1 lts Plum red grape & pear smoothie Tesco 2 for £3 £1.50
500g cooked beetroot and juice Lidl £0.59
3.5 kg sugar Farmfoods 2 for £1 £1.75
1 kg Raisins Asda £1.84
Yeast Youngs SWC £1

£14.43

Chealehay said:
Looking at trying for as close to a red, should I try this or is it doomed to failure?
Do I need Citric acid or anything else, already got plenty of toilet roll.

3 lts prune juice Sainsburys 3 for £2 £2
1 lts Strawberry Raspberry Blackberry Smoothie Tesco 2 for £3 £1.50
1 lts Plum red grape & pear smoothie Tesco 2 for £3 £1.50
3.5 kg sugar Farmfoods 2 for £1 £1.75
1 kg Raisins Asda £1.84
Yeast Youngs SWC £1

£14.43

:hmm:

What is in the smoothies? Have they got any milk or anything or are they just fruit? Seems like a lot of different stuff going in - but you never know if you don`t try :whistle: Maybe dump the beetroot and get a couple little tins of red grape concentrate. Will be interesting no matter what :lol:

The smoothies are supposed to be all fruit, crushed rather than the juice extracted as in juice.
I put the beetroot in as found somewhere to add it for the colour and it gives a fuller bodied wine. And I have already bought it.

My two penn'orth, which should probably be discounted as I've had a couple and then a couple more

The juices seem fine but by adding the smoothies and beetroot you are probably heading into country wine territory and pushing maturation to 6-12 months. I have never yet used smoothies but would think you'll have a huge sediment.

Red grape & prune - no problem whatsoever, I've tried it and it makes a good base, I will repeat it later this year and add a generous quantity of elderberries.

The beetroot won't add to the colour unless you keep your fermenters in the dark or wrap them in brown paper. Beetroot tends to make a vin brun and not a vin rouge.

3.5kg of sugar and a kilo of raisins, what volume are you making?

Samarith said:
I'd definitely consider some pectolase and amylase
Agreed.
Go easy on the citric, certainly no more than half a tsp per gallon, but do add the enzymes.

So maybe the smoothies are best left out, I was trying to add some other flavours cheaply, thought that 5 lts of prune might be too much but maybe will go that way. Didn’t think there was any banana in the smoothies. Do you still think I need the pectolase and amylase, what is amylase never heard of that one? Is it citric acid?
Was hoping for elderberries but couldn’t find anything at a reasonable price this time of year.
I have persuaded the wife to plant blackcurrant redcurrant gooseberries blackberries rhubarb and raspberries this year which I hope to get a crop from next year. She is under the impression they are for her baking, but I have plans.
I am in the middle of insulating a cupboard in my garage to brew in the dark so might keep the beetroot. I might be able to keep some to mature.
My intention is 5 gals, too much sugar?
Ok new recipe so far
5 lts prune juice Sainsbury’s 3 for £2 £3.33
3.5 kg sugar Farmfoods 2 for £1 £1.75 (maybe less?????)
1 kg Raisins Asda £1.84
Yeast Youngs SWC £1
5 tsp Pectoluse
2.5 tsp Citric Acid
Any more suggestions?

I'd be tempted to include the strawberry, raspberry & blackberry smoothie, but not the plum, grape & pear.

You originally said 3 litres of prune, that's probably quite enough.

Sugar sounds about right for 5 gallons, maybe just a little on the high side, go with 3kg plus the raisins for starters and then feed it?

Amylase deals with starch, use it with spuds, parsnips, bananas, that sort of stuff. You don't need it.

Ok recipe so far is
3 lts prune juice Sainsbury’s 3 for £2
1 lts Strawberry Raspberry Blackberry Smoothie Tesco £1.77
3 kg sugar Farmfoods 2 for £1 £1.50
1 kg Raisins Asda £1.84
Yeast Youngs SWC
5 tsp Pectoluse
2.5 tsp Citric Acid

I will sneak the bits onto the home shopping deliveries, hopefully get this started this weekend.

Thanks for your help, great site this!!

Evening All,

I have a dj of juice wine that has been left alone for 2 months (was left in a cupboard and forgot about it :shock: ) and needs racking off the sediment, is there a maximum time a juice wine can be left on the lees before it affects the flavour? What affect on flavour does leaving on the lees have?

Ta

Dan

danny said:
Evening All,

I have a dj of juice wine that has been left alone for 2 months (was left in a cupboard and forgot about it :shock: ) and needs racking off the sediment, is there a maximum time a juice wine can be left on the lees before it affects the flavour? What affect on flavour does leaving on the lees have?

Ta

Dan

I don't have much experience with juice wines yet but most country wine recipes call for you to rack about each 2 months, so you should be OK.

The flavour becomes musty if left too long but again that's with a bakers yeast, I don't know if modern wine yeasts have the same effect.

I'm sure someone with more experience in this will be along shortly. :D

Hi all
Just supping one of the best Supermarket wines I've made to date. Recipe below.

Apple Juice 3.5 litre
Orange Juice 2 litre
Grape Juice 5.5 litre
Citric Acid 1 tsp
Nutrient 5 tsp
Sugar 8.3 lb
tanin 2.5 tsp
Pectolase 5 tsp
Youngs French Oak Chips 1 pkt
Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast 1 pkt

16th June Put ingredients into large bucket and topped up to 25 litre mark with tap water.
23rd June Racked and topped up with 1 litre Apple juice.
20th July Finished and bottled.

Not much flavour from the French Oak chips but the wine is lovely so will definitely do this one again. :thumb:

When I grow up I want to be a Moley! Thanks for this thread, I'm starting off a new batch of ciders and wines next weekend and now I finally have some DJs (rather than just 25L bins) I'm gonna try some of these ideas.

Is it sad that I now wander around supermarkets checking their juices have plenty of sugar and no preservatives :( :D

Fally over oops said:
When I grow up I want to be a Moley!
What a contradiction, I fully support the old saying that while growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Fally over oops said:
Is it sad that I now wander around supermarkets checking their juices have plenty of sugar and no preservatives?
Sounds most commendable to me :clap:
Given time, you might start to find that other products accidentally fall from their shelves into the family shopping trolley too, maybe things like raisins and honey.

I started a supermarket juice wine on Monday night, it was all from Aldi, it will work out at something like 50p a bottle.

2lt Red Grape
2lt Cranberry Juice
Water
18oz Caster Sugar
Tannin
Pectolase
Nutrient
Ritchies Wine Yeast

I can't remember if I put any citric of tartaric in, I don't think I did, both juices had it on the ingredients anyway.

OG was 1082 and it has been going like the proverbial train ever since.

I'll see what it turns out like.

I`ve done a simular one alan - cranberry and red grape turns out really good :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back