Supermarket juice wine and Wurzels orange wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chealehay said:
Ok recipe so far is
5 lts red grape Lidl £0.85*5 £4.25
3 lts prune juice Sainsbury’s 3 for £2
1 lts Strawberry Raspberry Blackberry Smoothie Tesco £1.77
500g cooked beetroot and juice Lidl £0.59
3 kg sugar Farmfoods 2 for £1 £1.50
1 kg Raisins Asda £1.84
Yeast Youngs SWC
5 tsp Pectoluse
2.5 tsp Citric Acid

I will sneak the bits onto the home shopping deliveries, hopefully get this started this weekend.

Thanks for your help, great site this!!

I don't see any tannin on there Chealehay :wha: a mug of strong tea will do the trick :thumb:

:cheers:

Alibro said:
Hi all
Just supping one of the best Supermarket wines I've made to date. Recipe below.

Apple Juice 3.5 litre
Orange Juice 2 litre
Grape Juice 5.5 litre
Citric Acid 1 tsp
Nutrient 5 tsp
Sugar 8.3 lb
tanin 2.5 tsp
Pectolase 5 tsp
Youngs French Oak Chips 1 pkt
Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast 1 pkt

16th June Put ingredients into large bucket and topped up to 25 litre mark with tap water.
23rd June Racked and topped up with 1 litre Apple juice.
20th July Finished and bottled.

Not much flavour from the French Oak chips but the wine is lovely so will definitely do this one again. :thumb:

Hi Alibro. Could I ask please what the finished alcohol was?

just started a batch of the wurzels orange, and a pomegranite one. I took an SG, when filled to the shoulder, of 100 on both. Bit higher then expected, all be it the liquid was quite warm as the water was boiled then mixed with the cold juice, but does that make much different to the gravity? Was just thinking, this cant be a true reading any way as im going to top up with water once initial fermentation has calmed, so i guess the question is, wat sg should it really be?>

Quite right, any measured reading is going to be high and false if you then top up with water.

Temperature may make a slight difference, you need to measure the temperature when you take your reading, know the calibration temperature of your hydrometer (which is most probably going to be 20°C if it's a modern one), and then use the forum calculator (button top left) to find the adjustment.

But, unless your fermenter is calibrated, you know the volume now and total volume after topping up, it's all guesswork.

For example, if you've got 4.25 litres at (1.)100 and then top up to 5 litres, your net OG will be 100 / 5 x 4.25 = (1.)085

thanks moley 85 is close enough, it doesnt need to be 100% accurate as long as its within 1% i think. Will change again when i back sweeten any way

Hi. My name is steve and I am new to the forum. I did have a shot a making wine 20 or more years ago but what with work and family matters it kind of fizzled out.

However I am retired now and I have taken up brewing again. Would you believe it, my first attempt at finding out about 'juice wines' and I discover this thread. Fantastic. Thanks very much Moley :clap:

Well thank you, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

I can see you're a returner and not a beginner, but you may find this guide useful too.

Where in the W. Midlands?

Moley said:
Well thank you, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

I can see you're a returner and not a beginner, but you may find this guide useful too.

Where in the W. Midlands?

Thanks. I'm just up the road from you in Brierley Hill .

First day into my new venture and I have a problem!

I am following the recipe as described in the OP. I made up a yeast starter and everything was looking good so I added it to the juice etc. It is now 4 hours later and fermentation hasn't started? My temperature is good (its on a bottom heater) :?

You probably don't need the heater at this time of year, and it can take a couple of days for fermentation to get up to speed, in the first day the yeasties are busy making more yeasties and there might not be much bubbling.

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure about the heater to be honest but thought warm rather than cold! I'll just have to be more patient :whistle:

I don't understand what I'm looking at here, can you tell me precisely what went in to those jars, when, and what the activity has been like?

I've used mango a couple of times and there was loads of fruit pulp, but gunk top and bottom yet clear in the middle, I have never ever seen that before, how have you managed it, in multiple jars?

It looks to me as if the yeast has settled out at the bottom, and you have fruit pulp floating on top.
Try 'swirling' it, and see if the pulp settles out.

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me on this lot I put the suger in as syrup also i have topped each jar up to the shoulder with cold water and then to each I added 1 teaspoon each of Pectolase, Yeast Nutrient and Wine Yeast, I have followed this same steps with the Mango , Mango&Apple, Mango&cranberry&Blueberry, Mango&Orange&Pineapple done exactly same steps as you moley. :hat: i started it on monday 4th march , its as been bubbling and bubbleing away but is starting to slow down now. do I need to give it a bit of a shake like sueelleker said :cool: cheers guys. HELP :wha: :wha:

Sounds ok to me but I still don't understand how they have separated. I would certainly give them a swirl to see if that top gunk will now settle to the bottom, and maybe top them up a little further.

Which wine yeast did you use?

I used wilko gervin universal wine yeast , I have shaken them now and all looking ok touch wood, :cheers: just a little bit of gunk left at the top.

WOW what a thread. Just went and purchased about 20 litres of different juices (none of which were grape juice as this particular supermarket didn't sell any!!!) so once iv bought some grape juice and a couple of other things, il be getting stuck into these, cant wait!!

Although i only have one glass DJ which is currently being used with a Ribena strawberry wine which has a couple of weeks left to go. Am i OK in using the 5l plastic water bottles with a hole drilled in the lid for the airlock? Anything i should look for with these that might need to me to do something different?

Cheers

5L plastic water bottles are fine, just fit a grommet into the hole you drill in the lid. It'll help keep a tight seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back