Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1030 there is still a lot of fermentation to go. :thumb:

hydrometer.jpg

It's been a week to the day iirc. How long do they usually take? There's no bubbles coming out of the airlock. Should I give it more nutrients?

If you followed the wow guide it has not finished at 1030.

What yeast did you use?

Did you use nutrient?

How much sugar did you use including the cartons?

I edited my earlier post to add this picture -

hydrometer.jpg

Used some youngs wine/champagne yeast. 1tsp. And 1tsp of nutrients along with glycerin, pectolase and citric acid (all 1tsp). Used 750/800g of sugar.

I use the youngs super wine yeast compound and have never had one finish early, i am not familiar with the youngs wine/champagne yeast so i am not sure if it is up to the job, it would seem you have done everything right so i am at a loss as to why this has finished early.

I assume this is in a DJ with an airlock and not a home made plastic water bottle DJ.

Proper glass DJ with new bung/airlock. Done everything as per the guide.

For shits and giggles I've added another tsp of yeast and nutrients. If its gone **** up its hardly the end of the world as its not cost me hardly anything. And it's all about experimenting. I certainly won't be using this yeast again.

If you haven't already give it a real good shake (with the airlock out) that sometimes gets things going, you could also stand it in the sink with some warm water in it for a couple of hours, make sure its not very warm to the touch as 20c - 25c doesn't feel that warm, you don't want to get the wine temperature too high. :thumb:

We must be on the same wave length. I've put it in some Luke warm water in the sink. The airlock hasn't moved.

After putting in the nutrient it foamed/fizzed up and died back down again almost immediately. I gave it a shake but alas that's done nothing either.

I shall leave it for another day, if nothing's happened is it worth trying to rack it off/add the finings? And 1.30 or whatever it's at, what abv % is that at currently?

Or should I just bin it?

BrewWoo said:
We must be on the same wave length. I've put it in some Luke warm water in the sink. The airlock hasn't moved.

After putting in the nutrient it foamed/fizzed up and died back down again almost immediately. I gave it a shake but alas that's done nothing either.

I shall leave it for another day, if nothing's happened is it worth trying to rack it off/add the finings? And 1.30 or whatever it's at, what abv % is that at currently?

Or should I just bin it?

Give it at least a day to come alive again - I've pitched 1.040 beers which took more than a day to start showing any fermentation. I think WOWs only start up so fast because the SG is so high.

I think a combination of temperature and liquid volume haven't helped here. It looks like you have about 3.5-4 litres. If that is the case your OG would have been around 1.114 and if it is currently at 1.032 you will have 10.7% ABV.

I would have a taste before you bin it. I wouldn't drink anything that sweet, but you may like it.

It's incredibly sweet. Feel your teeth rotting sweet. I'll try again with something else. I'll bottle it when it's ready and keep them as emergency presents!

MattN said:
I think a combination of temperature and liquid volume haven't helped here. It looks like you have about 3.5-4 litres. If that is the case your OG would have been around 1.114 and if it is currently at 1.032 you will have 10.7% ABV.

I would have a taste before you bin it. I wouldn't drink anything that sweet, but you may like it.

I have just finished a 30 bottle kit at 1006 and believe me its awful, i don't mind medium sweet wine but this is not drinkable, i have found a splash of soda helps but at 1030 you would need so much soda it would be watery and tasteless.

I haven't a clue what has gone wrong so if i were you i would bin it and get some yeast that is popular and recommended by forum members, as i have said i use youngs super wine yeast compound and have never had one fail even down at 15c in my kitchen.

If your wine is too sweet do not bin it just bottle it up and keep for the occasions when you brew a super dry wine, in the past I have had super dry tc's and have mixed some of my sweeter efforts in with it to make quite a quaffable Drink.
My motto is if it contains alcohol never ever throw it away. (Unless it carling)

I've not yet thrown it, but I'll have a taste once it's cleared and bottled. If it's not totally rank it'll get saved somewhere..

Currently got another one on the go, so will see how this one turns out. Using different yeast and it's kept in the warmth this time. It's currently bubbling away and looking like a lava lamp.

Used 3L AJ 1L RGJ, 1K of sugar in about 500ml of water. All the usual's, (2 teabag brew, pectolase, yeast nutrient, yeast and glycerin)

Quick update...

Did a 5gal brew containing 5l wgj, 3l orange, 1l apple & 1l orange & magno, 4kg sugar & the usual suspects.
It finished fermenting and was racked into separate DJ's on the 7th jan and left to clear.
I left one DJ dry, then back sweetened the rest with redgrape juice.. one had 100ml, one had 200ml, one 300ml and the last had 250ml as suggested on here.

After a taste test last night, i found that i preferred the 250/300ml ones the best and we ended up nailing 5 bottles all in :)
After leaving the wows for 1 to 4 weeks (these were all 4 weeks) after bottling made a huge difference and after trying various versions/ages of wows, ive hit the nail on the head with it :party:

The best ones ive done are Apple wow, Apple & Blackcurrent, Cherry & the AOM wow (above) with the apple and aom standouts for me..

Big thanks to Chippy and all for invaluable assistance in these threads :cheers:

Glad to hear they worked out, i am mid way through clearing 3 DJ's of apple/raspberry and WGJ (waiting half an hour to add Kwik clear part B) i used powdered tannin and no citric acid on this batch and i can tell the difference already, i will give them a week before i do a proper taste comparison.

A word of warning, if you decide to use powdered tannin do not put it into the DJ it clumps like lumps in gravy, the best method i have found is to keep a couple of table spoons of the sugar for each DJ in cup, mix in the tannin then add to a sterilised cup of warm water and stir until it has all dissolved. :thumb:

Chippy_Tea said:
Glad to hear they worked out, i am mid way through clearing 3 DJ's of apple/raspberry and WGJ (waiting half an hour to add Kwik clear part B) i used powdered tannin and no citric acid on this batch and i can tell the difference already, i will give them a week before i do a proper taste comparison.

A word of warning, if you decide to use powdered tannin do not put it into the DJ it clumps like lumps in gravy, the best method i have found is to keep a couple of table spoons of the sugar for each DJ in cup, mix in the tannin then add to a sterilised cup of warm water and stir until it has all dissolved. :thumb:

Is the powdered Tannin better than tea bag mix then?

Hi i have a 33 l fermentation bin and a 22 l secondary brewing bin and was wondering if there was a recipe for this amount. I have a few DJs on the go with various juices and really like the rwj and cranberry juice and was going to make a large batch using wgj. I know this is a bit "fluffy" but how many cartons of wgj? The cranberry was only 50 % if i remember so how many of that. What should the total sugar content be? I did not take the juice sugar into consideration last time so plan to calculate all the sugar in the cartons then add the correct amount of sugar. Do i just multiply by 5 for the rest of the usual stuff? TIA

Update
Just found Chippy's post 1st Oct for a 23L. Answers my questions about the quantities of the usual suspects, but I have seen some posts where people are putting in between 14 - 15l of grape juice and juice combined but this one only has 10 in total or am I reading this wrong, was it 5L of apple AND 5L of raspberry?

My first ever 23 litre FV wine.

5 litres of apple and Raspberry (tesco 100% juice)

5 litres of White grape juice,

3750g sugar taking the total to 5kg

Teapot full of tea and a mug with about 10 bags altogether for tannin.

2 tsp Youngs super wine yeast

5 tsp pectolase

5 tsp nutrient

3 tsp citric acid

5 tsp Glycerine

Its been on 24 hours and is bubbling away nicely.

Latest posts

Back