Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i first started making juice wines i used to add sugar to hot water in a pan to dissolve it, this needs to be left quite a while to cool before adding to a glass DJ, i now put the sugar into the DJ with the juice and use a combination of hot (not boiling) and cold water to bring it up to pitching temperature (just to the shoulder of the DJ) then i use my home made degassing wand to dissolve the sugar, this cuts down the time it takes to make a DJ of juice wine considerably (and the cleaning up afterwards)

Here is how to make one - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48971

Hi everyone just a quick question (or two 😉) I currently have 2 dj of wine brewing away at the moment and after reading through this segment I think I have made a few mistakes. I have done everything that is basically mentioned except adding pectolase and glycerine will the wine even be drinkable? Also as there is only 3 litres of juice plus sugar etc brewing away to be safe of a vigorous fermention bubbling through the airlocks am I right in thinking after topping up with more juice again to a higher safe level after first fermention has completed I can just top them up with cooled boiled water just before racking to another dj to get the magic 5l mark ready for bottling? Sorry if I am a bit off the mark with my questions or terminology I am an absolute newbie to all this. Just wish I had stumbled across this site before following the recipe from a random blog off the Web. Any help and advice will be highly appreciated thanks in advance!

I have done everything that is basically mentioned except adding pectolase and glycerine will the wine even be drinkable?

Pecotlace stops a pectin haze forming which makes the wine cloudy and Glycerine adds mouth feel, without them your wine will be fine, with them it'll be better.

after first fermention has completed I can just top them up with cooled boiled water just before racking to another dj to get the magic 5l mark ready for bottling?

I only use 2 litres of juice in my wine if both are 100% juice then top up with water after racking to a second DJ onto a crushed campden tablet, degassing and stabilising, 4 litres of juice in a DJ will produce a very strong tasting wine and its more expensive to make than it needs be.

Thanks for the extremely speedy reply really appreciate it also the input and advice. The juices I used were from concentrate even tho one of the tesco own brands says 100% pure but in small brackets from concentrate grrrr always read the small print I suppose! Once these have brewed out I will follow the recipies off here and hopefully get a better wine out of them! On the plus side I can now go out and treat myself to more brewing chemical goodies! Thanks again!

Try 2 litres and see if you like it, if its too weak add more next time most of us use 2 litres but its not set in stone.

I made a schoolboy error two days ago, and was wondering what, if any, impact it will have...

Put simply when measuring up at the start of a "pink apple" (RGJ and Apple) I accidentally stuck into my demijon the amount of pectolase required for a 40L... I only realised my mistake when I read back by notes... (Even when you've been at it for ages... notes are always a good idea...) the thing has been bubbling away for two days now and everything looks and smells OK...

I've never done this before, so I have no idea if it is going to have a negative effect on either the flavour or the alcohol.

Anyone have any idea whether I should bin it, or see it through?

Did you used 8 teaspoons instead of 1.

Sorry... I quoted the volume wrong in the last post... 40 PINTS not litres...

I used the amount in a DJ that I would normally use on a 5 gallon bin brew...

So instead of a healthy pinch I plopped 2 teaspoons in.

I guess that whatever else happens it will probably end up shining like polished silver when its done...

Couldnt resist opening a bottle tonight, wife who doesnt drink said "its alright"

Its like a weak rose wine, taste is not bitter/ sour or vinegary......but is a little foosty ( old trainers come to mind )

Looking forward to trying some of my other bottled tests.

started 10th Oct
1x 1L Apple
1x 1L red grape juice 70% strawberry puree 20% kiwi puree 10%
800g Sugar
bottled - 29th october 2015

Is there a good time to "age" these wines ?

20151107_172030_resized.jpg

Mine don't get much time to age i drink them from day one up to about a fortnight, i have made this combination many times and never got the old trainers taste you describe, the colour looks very light mine have always been a dark rose colour, is that condensation on the glass or is the wine cloudy?

Mine don't get much time to age i drink them from day one up to about a fortnight, i have made this combination many times and never got the old trainers taste you describe, the colour looks very light mine have always been a dark rose colour, is that condensation on the glass or is the wine cloudy?

Its condensation, been in shed since bottling. was 100pc clear when it went into bottle.

Old trainers maybe a bit harsh, its not too unplesant to drink, Ill know more when i get to the end of 500ml bottle :-)

Maybe give it a few days before opening the next.

My RGJ and apple looks slightly darker than the one in the middle.

attachment.php

What's in the white demi chippy? can't get hold of any wgj so only been doing the rgj versions, think the missus is getting a bit bored of them....

guys I have been reading through this massive thread.

As a newbie I am looking for a dry white or rose to make in this fashion. happy to just do a DJ full to begin with unless you recommend one that is a no brainer just thought someone could give me a decent starter recipe for a newbie

many thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back