Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mixed results with bentonite, worked great on some wines and not on others, it needs mixing in water and leaving for a day and stirring every few hours so the clay particles dissolve in well, then mix it into the wine.

thanks mate, could i use something like a cheesecloth before i rack it to get the sediment etc out?

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57485

I made some Grapefruit brew. I ended up with bits in as I added more grapefruit juice when bottling.

It's as clear as though, and bloody lovely.

I've got 12 litres or so of turbo cider in the FV. Hopefully bottle that this week. I have 12 litres of grapefruit beside me, which will be in the FV this week hopefully.

Had a busy few hours yesterday racked a couple of wows, my RGJ and Tropical is well cleared and ready for bottling, but the RGJ apple n mango using 3L of juice instead of the usual 2L is gonna need fining again as its still not fully cleared (its taken longer to finish fermenting than usual 2L wows too)

Then I racked my round courgette wine.
I also racked my wheat n rice wine off its sediment, and then bottled some apple wine.

So after a few testers of the racked wine and a few glasses of apple wine last night I was :whistle:

thanks mate, i've ordered a tub of pectolase and i'll wait for it to come before i start :)

My grapefruit brew ended up fizzy. Grapefruit cider really, which is what I intended as you'll see if you read my thread. Although if you want to make wine I don't see why not. Really it's as clear as. I've only two bottles left and I've promised one to somebody. But when I open one I'll take a video.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57485

I made some Grapefruit brew. I ended up with bits in as I added more grapefruit juice when bottling.

It's as clear as though, and bloody lovely.

I've got 12 litres or so of turbo cider in the FV. Hopefully bottle that this week. I have 12 litres of grapefruit beside me, which will be in the FV this week hopefully.
looks good mate, i've got some cartons of grapefruit juice and grape juice so hoping to make something nice out of it lol.
how do you work out how much water to use? i watched the video on the first post and he just says he disolved the sugar in a pan of water, is there a exact measurement to use or? thanks :thumb:

I use approx 1/2 - 3/4 litre enough to dissolve the sugar, it isn't a critical measurement, but if you use more water it will take longer to cool down to yeast pitching temp, using minimal water I just add it to the juice straight after its all melted into the water.

looks good mate, i've got some cartons of grapefruit juice and grape juice so hoping to make something nice out of it lol.
how do you work out how much water to use? i watched the video on the first post and he just says he disolved the sugar in a pan of water, is there a exact measurement to use or? thanks :thumb:

If you read my thread mine wasn't really a WOW. More a grapefruit cider, in as much as it was sparkling. Or was it grapefruit champagne? Who knows. As the first cider I made was a bit bland I didn't use water at all. Just juice.

I take it you'll be using white grape juice. Sounds not too bad actually. Personally if I could get white grape juice here I'd make it and carbonate it again. I love a bit of fizz in my drinks. Even when I buy cheap wine I add a bit of mineral water usually.

I would use as little water as possible, but if you read what others have done you'll see some put quite a bit of water in. Check out some of Roddy's threads, like this one. He topped up with water here.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58836

Hi Jas, the amount of water used depends on the amount of juice you use, I normally add a litre of grape juice and a litre of another juice (apple or raspberry or whatever I have) some juices are less than 50% so you need to double up on these, basically for 2 litres of juice and the mug of tea for tannin you will be adding 2.5 litres of disolved sugar and water.

What do you all use for back sweetening? I put some lactose in my cider but not really confident it will do much.

I think most people are using Splenda or something similar.
There's a yeast available now which supposedly makes it sweeter.
The yeast is available on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...h+sweetener+for+Homebrew+Cidermaking&_sacat=0

Probably not best to ask in the WOW thread. Maybe start a new thread.
Then the people who've used the yeast or back sweetened might reply

A heads up for all the juice wine makers here -

Asda are selling Don Simon Spanish Red Grape Juice in a 2 litre carton for £2:50.

Features

Sweet and fruity. 1300 Grapes pressed into each pack. Juice made from pressed fresh fruit. One of your 5-a-day per 200ml serving. Juice runs in our family. Made directly from fruit - not from concentrate.

8410261766423_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

I think the jury is still,out on that one, one view says boiling removes/kills any preservatives, the opposing view says boiling only concentrates them.

But I've looked at, and used lots of different juices and none of them have preservatives, they are usually in juice drinks which are not 100% juice, look on the carton and see if it says preservatives, metabisulphites or anything other than 100% juice.

If you use 100% juice it won't have preservative, as cheapbrew says some juices are only 50% or less, I have used cranberry, strawberry and raspberry in the past non of which had preservative in them.

Don't know if many people have tried adding oak chips. I had some sitting around so thought I'd give it a try. I had a number of demijohns of wine which were a few months old. I'd run out of bottles. I had already tried adding oak chips to my bramble wine which had been very one dimensional and it really improved it so I thought I would see what it would do to my juice wine. I added more than i needed to and they have been in there over a week now and I just tasted it. It has made a lot of difference, it is more mellow and it has a spicy quality which i gather is the normal effect of french oak chips. I'm going to have to get some more and add it to the rest. I appreciate it adds cost to what is a cheap wine, but I think its worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back