swapping yeast out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobbyhigo

Reaction score
Hi quick question i have a festival razorback ipa and a coopers canadian blonde going on on saturday thing is i have 2 packets of us 05 yeast. is it worth me swaping tge kit yeast for 05 or not worth bothering cheers.
festival will be as the kit comes coopers will be brew enhansor and some honey

The Razorback yeast works fine. I'd try not to let it get too warm (above 20c) as mine had a very slight Belgian/Banana taste.

US-05 could be an upgrade for the Coopers as Clibit says. Again, don't let it get too warm in the summer weather.

If the yeast is going to waste, then I'd use it in both kits.

I've tried/drunk the Coopers with the US-05, made by a fellow brewer.

It was excellent with zero 'twang'. So can recommend it from a 'have drunk' it point of view.

IIRC he used either a BE1 or BE2 kit with it and no additional sugar. Bit weak but a very enjoyable beer.

cheers all will go for 05 in the coopers and leave the razorback as is was hoping the yeast change was going to help with the twang using youngs BE so see how it goes

I did a Coopers Lager kit, with a cascade hop tea added 4 days before bottling and it was superb. I would deffo try the US05 yeast with the Coopers Canadian Blonde kit - and try dry hopping or hop tea close to bottling after fermentation is done - any of the C hops would be good, Citra, Cascade etc.

Good luck with it.

I would def change the canadian blonde.. I think the yeast and that kit can have a slight aftertaste and I think the US05 would certainly upgrade it

I must have unrefined tastes in beer. I've used a stack of Cooper's yeast in their kits and in my own AG brews. Never had a single one with a bad taste or a twang. I well remember the 'twang' back in the seventies and eighties of the last century when I was a young brewer - it was foul. I will happily receive all the unwanted Cooper's yeast you guys care to send me. In fact I'm going to set up a re-homing charity for unloved Cooper's yeast. Send it to me and I will adopt it and love it for you until my liver gives out. :) :)

the reason for swapping out was that i did a coopers draught for my virgin brew and it does have quite a tang so i bought the yeast for the blonde in the mean time i have a coopers bitter and stout on the bitter is lovely with no after taste .
the razorback is my first punt at hopping was looking to progress to clibiys simple all grain if all goes well

the reason for swapping out was that i did a coopers draught for my virgin brew and it does have quite a tang so i bought the yeast for the blonde in the mean time i have a coopers bitter and stout on the bitter is lovely with no after taste .
the razorback is my first punt at hopping was looking to progress to clibiys simple all grain if all goes well

Hope it comes out great.

I must have unrefined tastes in beer. I've used a stack of Cooper's yeast in their kits and in my own AG brews. Never had a single one with a bad taste or a twang. I well remember the 'twang' back in the seventies and eighties of the last century when I was a young brewer - it was foul. I will happily receive all the unwanted Cooper's yeast you guys care to send me. In fact I'm going to set up a re-homing charity for unloved Cooper's yeast. Send it to me and I will adopt it and love it for you until my liver gives out. :) :)

To be fair I am unsure whether it is the yeast or the kit of a combination of both, a few people have mentioned it about that kit. Not undrinkable at all and its not even that bad but it just has a certain aftertaste which I would rather wasn't there.. I have had a simialr flavour/ twang from a lager kit beer my dad made which he made kit and kilo... Its a kit I have always said I think a cleaner yeast and a dry hop is needed and would boost that kit massively.

if i was planning to stay on kits i think i would stick to the coopers bitter and just hop it a little
just brewed it 2/2/2 with 1.5 kg light malt and 65g priming sugar to 21l and pours like hand pulled bitter but deffo going to grain as soon as i can pick up a boiler not allowed to brew in the kitchen😕 wife banned me

but deffo going to grain as soon as i can pick up a boiler not allowed to brew in the kitchen������ wife banned me

You definately won't look back, I crossed to the dark side after Clibits posts about partial mashes and currently doing partial mashes in my 15l stockpot with a one can coopers kit (or liquid malt extract) plus grain BIAB and hop additions. Massive step forward from just kits with spraymalt. No homebrew twang at all and every brew tastes very different.

Only a matter of time before I buy a proper boiler I fear - either a peco plastic or this Ace stainless looks a good buy, includes a decent tap and hop strainer fitted:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ACE-M...not-plastic-/271687277467?hash=item3f41d2db9b
or with a timer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ACE-M...eer-mashing-/271824466693?hash=item3f4a003305

Good luck with your transition to all grain, sure you won't look back

You definately won't look back, I crossed to the dark side after Clibits posts about partial mashes and currently doing partial mashes in my 15l stockpot with a one can coopers kit (or liquid malt extract) plus grain BIAB and hop additions. Massive step forward from just kits with spraymalt. No homebrew twang at all and every brew tastes very different.

Only a matter of time before I buy a proper boiler I fear - either a peco plastic or this Ace stainless looks a good buy, includes a decent tap and hop strainer fitted:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ACE-M...not-plastic-/271687277467?hash=item3f41d2db9b
or with a timer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ACE-M...eer-mashing-/271824466693?hash=item3f4a003305

Good luck with your transition to all grain, sure you won't look back

Price of the ace has gone up a few quid since I bought mine 2 weeks ago.. I just got all my money back for it actually but surprised to see its gone up since it had only just gone up before I bought it.

Price of the ace has gone up a few quid since I bought mine 2 weeks ago.. I just got all my money back for it actually but surprised to see its gone up since it had only just gone up before I bought it.

Were you not tempted to try another one Covrich ? I saw you were having issues with it.

Were you not tempted to try another one Covrich ? I saw you were having issues with it.

I was and to be honest as if working it would have been a tidy bit of kit its all ball tapped up with hop strainer ect.. I am sure if the replacement came it would have been fine a few things put me off.

1) its wort and electronics and in my case they mixed and I do not know what I am doing with electronics but it didn't sit comfortable with me.
2) Losing or playing rescue on a brew wasn't that much fun (and I know boilers can be problematic sometimes), that can happen to anyone and whilst I have made some rescue I lost a fair amount and I am unsure what I will end up with.. hey ho such is life.
3) this sounds possibly petty but dealing with the guy on ebay whilst no problem with the refund didn't answer my calls I got the run around a little and chat with him on ebay was all text speech like "call l8ta thx" , If I did have a problem I am not sure how much support this person can provide.. Probably should't be too judgmental but the accumulation of those points perhaps clouded my judgment.

I just feel with gas I know what I am going to get pot and gas.. brewing outdoors is a little inconvinient but will actually work better as I can do a full scale BIAB.

I do not want to put you off, Tony has the same as I did and his was great I just felt a bit put off my all the points together..

I was and to be honest as if working it would have been a tidy bit of kit its all ball tapped up with hop strainer ect.. I am sure if the replacement came it would have been fine a few things put me off.

1) its wort and electronics and in my case they mixed and I do not know what I am doing with electronics but it didn't sit comfortable with me.
2) Losing or playing rescue on a brew wasn't that much fun (and I know boilers can be problematic sometimes), that can happen to anyone and whilst I have made some rescue I lost a fair amount and I am unsure what I will end up with.. hey ho such is life.
3) this sounds possibly petty but dealing with the guy on ebay whilst no problem with the refund didn't answer my calls I got the run around a little and chat with him on ebay was all text speech like "call l8ta thx" , If I did have a problem I am not sure how much support this person can provide.. Probably should't be too judgmental but the accumulation of those points perhaps clouded my judgment.

I just feel with gas I know what I am going to get pot and gas.. brewing outdoors is a little inconvinient but will actually work better as I can do a full scale BIAB.

I do not want to put you off, Tony has the same as I did and his was great I just felt a bit put off my all the points together..

All your points sound like reasonable negatives based on your experience to be honest Covrich, I am still weighing up gas 'vs' electric boilers etc. Doing partial mashes on my electric hob top in a stockpot at the moment and very happy with the beer produced but suspect I will end up at full length all grain in due course.

Did a 20litre wheat beer the day before yesterday in mine. All went well, but one time for a moment the thermostat cut out during the rolling boil. Came back on again in 30 seconds, but I did wonder about Covrich's issue. It was nothing as it turned out and I got through the whole process nicely. I love mine to be honest, but if I'd been Covrich, I'd have been bloody mad. Noting also his remarks about the support. One sniff of indifference and I'd record the issue as 'not as described' on Ebay. Once you do that, the money comes back pretty quickly. I've bought hundreds of things on Ebay for values up to about £375 and only twice I was dissatisfied and told Ebay, the money came back quick as you like. They will shut down a trader if he or she doesn't play ball when things go wrong.

think its goin to be the peco one from homebrew online comes with cooler and free kit £80 before discount and if i add a order for ingredients in with it will cut postages its goung to be boil in a bag for me lack of space and a small child really need to keep the kit down to a minimum for now

its done peco boiler w cooler
10 kg maris otter
500g dark crystal , choc, brown malt 2kg flaked barley ,roast barley
hops cascade , first gold ,east kent
with 5% off £120😃
just got to get it passed the wife and in the garage now
then its ALL GRAIN HERE WE COME 🍺🍺🍺🍺
and went with the citra ipa that comes with the boiler

Back