Swing top Grolsch style bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobsbeer -I will wait for you to let me know . Thanks for your trouble.

OnlyFerment said:
Duncs said:
Have you got a Range store near you, they sell swing top bottles. They used to be **** with cheap tops that didn't seal very well, but the other day I was in The Range and noticed that they now have ceramic tops.

Ohhhhhh...... Ceramic tops. The web photo looked like plastic so I hadn't bothered. I'll get on over as soon as they reopen and check them out.

Happy Christmas.

Dave

I got some today, with ceramic tops from the range. None at the first one, and last 3 boxes at another. Hoping they are not discontinuing.

Mbarn said:
OnlyFerment said:
Duncs said:
Have you got a Range store near you, they sell swing top bottles. They used to be **** with cheap tops that didn't seal very well, but the other day I was in The Range and noticed that they now have ceramic tops.

Ohhhhhh...... Ceramic tops. The web photo looked like plastic so I hadn't bothered. I'll get on over as soon as they reopen and check them out.

Happy Christmas.

Dave

I got some today, with ceramic tops from the range. None at the first one, and last 3 boxes at another. Hoping they are not discontinuing.

I got some today too. They have plastic tops (Stupidly I didn't check before buying them :( ) but appear to be a good solid one so time will tell if they are any good.

I checked on the website and they don't show much homebrew at all - no bottles,fermenters nor white wine kit so I'm guessing they are discontinuing HB, though they did have quite a few bottles and for some reason a large stack of fermenters in store.

Dave

Interesting Dave. You're right, they are plastic from the Range! Fooled me until I checked them against some other bottles I got at more than twice the price, and it's now clear the range ones are plastic. I note on eBay you can buy ceramic replacements for £6.50/12 with free postage, so still a decent saving even if the tops supplied by the Range are rubbish, and need replacing.

Mbarn said:
Interesting Dave. You're right, they are plastic from the Range! Fooled me until I checked them against some other bottles I got at more than twice the price, and it's now clear the range ones are plastic. I note on eBay you can buy ceramic replacements for £6.50/12 with free postage, so still a decent saving even if the tops supplied by the Range are rubbish, and need replacing.

Hopefully they will be OK as they seem a fairly solid plastic. The ones on the range website when they had them seemed to be a translucent plastic more like that used for FVs and also appeared rather lighter built than 'standard' stoppers. I'm hoping that they were the original duff ones and have been replaced by a better quality stopper. Still worst thing would be having to replace them or take them back as not fit for purpose.

I did notice when I fitted the stoppers that you need to check they seat in the neck correctly as it is easy to put them in at a slight angle which may affect there sealing. I'm planning to use mine for a batch of wilko sweet newkie brown that I should be starting in the next few days (just as soon as I barrel a golden ale which seems to need a long condition to get clear). My idea is to use these bottles for short turnaround beers and caps for the slower to condition beers.

Dave

Great bottles arrived all in one piece thanks Bob. off to get them ready for some cider now. :cheers:

OnlyFerment said:
Mbarn said:

I got some today too. They have plastic tops (Stupidly I didn't check before buying them :( ) but appear to be a good solid one so time will tell if they are any good.

I checked on the website and they don't show much homebrew at all - no bottles,fermenters nor white wine kit so I'm guessing they are discontinuing HB, though they did have quite a few bottles and for some reason a large stack of fermenters in store.

Dave
:oops: they looked ceramic from the quick look I got at them. At least they are not the really cheep plastic they used to be

LeithR said:
Just came across exchange on f/book, it seems that Aldi will not have Das Helle until Sept 2014.

I wish i had bought more than two of them. I'm drastically short on bottles, after a stock take and a recent bottling I'm down to my last 30 odd bottles with kits in the cupboard for 120 pints.

I've tested both The Range bottles with plastic toppers at 83p each, and some German ones at £2.50 each, which have ceramic tops. The range are thinner bottles, but despite this and the plastic swing top caps, the quality and carbonation of the beer is the same.

Shame The Range always seem to be sold out. I got the last box again tonight.

Bottles arrived today all intact Brown Glass with resin/galvanised swing tops good value, will start my beer off tomorrow have decided to use Muntons Connoisseurs Export Pilsner, any tips welcome as this is my first bash at beer brewing?

Back