Tasted gravity sample

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dex81

Reaction score
Hi fellas started my first brew roughly 2 weeks ago (golden stag summer ale) I took a gravity sample today which I tasted and too be honest wasn't impressed! It tasted like warm flat watery beer which I guess it probably is. Will there be much improvement after bottling and maturing? as at the moment I don't think I'm gonna enjoy it.

This is known as green beer, it a long way from where it will finish, so don't get too despondent. It'll be much better.

Thanks mate that's good to know I'm definitely going to have to learn patience

The flavour and body of the beer will be much more "full" after bottle conditioning.

You will find that once it's carbonated the co2 will lift the aromas too.

I found a year old bottle of Geordie export at the back of the shed and it was amazing. What is usually a pretty bland kit tasted like a deep rich larger with massive honey notes. I didn't even use honey in the beer.Wish I'd left them all that long!

It didn't even taste like an extract kit beer, which is usually pretty easy to identify.

Patience is often rewarded in brewing

Most descriptions say after 10 days, bottle it for a week.... Don't. You've already gone 2 weeks, which isn't that bad. You want a good 3 to 4 days of the same gravity reading. That time, the yeast is cleaning up all the off flavors it produced while they were living high on that yummy sugar. Let them clean up.
Then bottle with about 5 grams of bottling sugar per liter of beer. So if you have a normal 23 liter batch you want 115 grams of bottling sugar. Others use just plain sugar and said it works fine, but if you've gone this far, just get you some good old corn sugar. The yeast love it.
Bottle them and put them somewhere at 21-24 degrees for at least 2 weeks. I go for a good solid month before I even think about a taste. So my timeline is about 3 to 4 weeks in the fermenter and another 4 weeks in the bottle. 8 weeks!
So, my advice, once you get your beer out of your fermenter, get another batch on. If you drink like some of us, those 2 months, you'll drink a whole batch. Keepem rotating.

Should be ready in time for Xmas then cheers everybody there is more to this brewing lark than I thought but im enjoying it!

I recently brewed this as my first kit after not brewing for a long time. It has turned out to be a very nice beer so don't judge it yet. I put mine in a secondary fv for another week so it was three weeks before bottling, after 2 weeks in the bottle it was a nice drink, but a little cloudy. After more than a month I think it is a fantastic beer. Just be patient I am sure you will enjoy it.

I think as said time is important, at the moment drinking beer made in November 2015, the problem is remembering what you did, so you taste one which is great, then can't do it again because your notes are not good enough.

I find doing the same kit over and over again, Scottish heavy, I get good and not so good brews even though I did them all the same way, so must be down to temperature, now I set the temperature to the same every time, but was back in November last year only controlling the minimum temperature so maximum could be too high, but my notes only say what the temperature was set to, not what the temperature actually was.

So by this time next year I will have been able to sample beers using dried malt, beer enhancer, twin can, treacle, and others, but until next year will not really know what they will finally taste like.

The move to full temperature control also had some set backs. It seems strange to look back, but when I started around 4 years ago I had no real control and to be frank some were better than today's brews. Also some a lot worse, but only one beer has gone down the drain, an attempt to lager a brew. The main problem with the poor brews was too warm, and time does correct that to some extent. But back to full temperature control, I had used stick on temperature strips and had recorded what temperatures seemed to work. I had noted how to start with 17°C was enough for it to brew and even at 16°C it was still OK in early stages, but as the brew progressed it needed to be warmer and in the latter stages it needed 18°C.

So with my new temperature control tried at 18°C and found that was too cold, and after 20 days the brew was not ready to bottle. My question was why? After considering what I was doing I realised my error was the original measurements. What I had failed to realise was the stick on strip is measuring some sort of average between ambient and fermentor temperature, so when it said 17°C at start of fermentation the brew was at 18°C plus, and at end of fermentation 17°C was 17°C. With the sensor under a sponge to insulate it from ambient I was measuring much closer to the true temperature.

As a result I found the set temperature had to be 19°C not 18°C and that 1°C made a huge difference, that also seemed odd, but then I realised now I was holding at 19°C 24/7 but in the kitchen it would drop over night then raise again as the central heating started, this again was meaning all my old data was redundant. But my attempt to brew for 20 days at 19°C (+/- 0.5°C) also failed, and I found I needed to split brewing into two stages, first 10 days at 19°C then second 10 days at 21°C at this the brew was always ready after the 20 days. But it did not end there, being short of stock I was trying to drink early, and I could taste a green beer, and after 10 days in bottle it was still green, it was then I realised once bottled I needed to either keep bottles warm, or store for a long time, so started packing the fridge compartment with the brew just bottled so the process became.

8 ~ 10 days in freezer at 19°C +/- 0.5°C,
1 day in fridge to settle, then transfer to clean fermentor,
8 ~ 10 days in fridge at 21°C or higher, (no cooling goes to fridge).
8 ~ 10 days in bottles packed around the next brew while waiting for label.
1 ~ 9 months in shed where the snails seem to want to eat off all my labels.

At last I am starting to get a consistent brew. But like many before me I am itching to try new things, so there is that temptation to try more than one thing at a time, my all treacle stout was on reflection an error should have tried just a little first, but I have learnt what too much treacle tastes like now, so can recognise when too much treacle is used now. The same applies to too much sugar, and too much of anything else. To describe what too much sugar tastes like is hard, but too much sugar does do similar to too hot, so until full temperature control I have likely made errors in my notes as to limits of sugar used. Not really tried the brew enhancer, and spray dried malt yet. Made but not tasted.

I do not make just beer, and when making cider or high alcohol mainly liquors, the fridge or freezer is not available to make beer, so on average around 12 brews a year, this means learning what does what is slow. As said most of the first years home brewing notes are useless as no temperature control, but some things have still been learnt, and one major one is brewing takes time. The other and I keep forgetting this one, is the hydrometer shows where you have made errors, it is tempting after doing 12 brews all which take 20 days before bottling to just bottle after 20 days, but some times it takes longer.

My best brew was likely my first brew, my wife started it in the January, it sat in the kitchen until march, when I asked should you be doing something with this, so I took over and bottled, likely it was 60 days on the yeast, then priming sugar added to each bottle, used old green fortified wine bottles, had a real problem filling as 2/3 full and loads of froth, did not know then that syphon tube should go to bottom of bottle. The caps were not a good seal so many of the bottles when opened had rather a flat brew. I seem to remember I left for quite a time before trying, it was not my thing then.

Well I have to admit with all the errors, it was still likely the best brew I have done, or half done, not a clue what kit it was, can was gone well before I took over. But April that year I started to home brew, each brew got worse and worse, at that time I had not got a clue why, now I realise I was leaving them less and less time, and it was getting hotter and hotter, as Winter came in so the brews improved again, and until this year I gave up brewing in the summer.

I got a second fermentor, I got stick on temperature strips, I used electrical stuffing glands to get a really good seal so I could judge fermentor activity, I would count how many bubbles per minute. I put body warmers around the fermentor with air lock sticking out of the top. I thought by that time that I knew it all. Then our fridge/freezer was condemned and we had an insurance pay out on it so bought new, but it still worked so it went to garage. And I started to learn all over again. At first only controlled heat, did not use the cooling, I bought the wrong controller, then finally got new controller and started using cooling as well. At which point started to learn all over again.

I hope you can learn from my errors, however likely you will not, I was really silly in early days, I thought I knew it all, only as I have progressed have I realised how little I know, and not touched all grain.

Hi dex solid advice above, and as its late here is my 2ps worth your welcome to ignore..

feel free to crack a bottle to sample as often as you like after its had a couple of weeks in the warm (any temp 18c-28c) to condition. But have patience to also allow it to mature, however taste is a subjective thing and from reading many comments in here and similar places i know i prefer a more mature beer than many others who imho seem to enjoy supping a green beer..

if after a month or so you find it lacking body and or flavour depth for your taste look at the more expensive 2 tin kits or consider embelishing a 1 tin kit with a tin of unhopped Liquid malt extract (LME) or more expensive Dry Malt extract DME,

Dont get conned into buying 'brewers sugar' brewers enhancer or any non generic products as they contain a very high proportion of the simple thinning sugars your probably looking to avoid.
sugar is cheap and yeast can convert it to alcohol cleanly but it results in a thin dry beer when used in significant volumes.

as long as you can clean and sanitise your equipment there is no reason why with the kits available today you shouldn't be able to brew a beer that will be comparable to many commercial offerings.

I probably dont leave my beer long enough after fermentation stops. I tend to bottle a day or two after fermentation stops and leave them in the bottle for at least 10 days before I cant wait any more hand have to have my first sample. Takes me about 3 months to get through a full 40 bottle brew (when I do a 23 litre brew leave the other 3 litres as waste so I dont disturb the sediment or bottle any krausen). I usually do my next brew about a month or so before I finish the previous one. Maybe I'll change to doing it 2 months before, leave it in the FV longer and longer maturing, then future brews even further ahead.

Latest posts

Back