Temperature Controllers for Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the problems with domestic white goods that heat or cool.

When the oven, for example, shows 180 when cooking your chicken roast, it might well be ten degrees above that, or even below, for all I know. But in practice the chicken will be cooked safely, so the margin of error is ok.

And I suppose it's the same with fridges. If a product says keep at 5° or below, then the fridge presumably achieves that across at a minimum of one place in the fridge, again presumably uniformly across the fridge at that!

This is not to say that it won't be 5° at the top of the fridge and 3° at the bottom.

Maybe this is what you have detected?

I've just fitted a small fan to mine which appears to have helped smooth out the temp variation.
It is a 240v one connected to the heater.
I figured the cooling side didn't need it as the cooling coils cover most of the back of the fridge and the heater is only small tucked away at the bottom.

Cedaronics said:
This is one of the problems with domestic white goods that heat or cool.

When the oven, for example, shows 180 when cooking your chicken roast, it might well be ten degrees above that, or even below, for all I know. But in practice the chicken will be cooked safely, so the margin of error is ok.

And I suppose it's the same with fridges. If a product says keep at 5° or below, then the fridge presumably achieves that across at a minimum of one place in the fridge, again presumably uniformly across the fridge at that!

This is not to say that it won't be 5° at the top of the fridge and 3° at the bottom.

Maybe this is what you have detected?

i have been told this is very common so i'm not bothered about it now .. :thumb: .

regards mick... :hat: .

anthonyUK said:
I've just fitted a small fan to mine which appears to have helped smooth out the temp variation.
It is a 240v one connected to the heater.
I figured the cooling side didn't need it as the cooling coils cover most of the back of the fridge and the heater is only small tucked away at the bottom.

thanks anthony...

thats a great idea and so simple to do.. :thumb: .

regards mick... :hat: .

No probs Mick
I just checked the graph and it has smoothed it out nicely.

I used something like this but 'salvaged' from some old equipment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/38mm-Wire-Axial ... B007PQ0K02
I wish I had a few more now TBH.

8781707868_b637490059_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anthonyUK said:
No probs Mick
I just checked the graph and it has smoothed it out nicely.

I used something like this but 'salvaged' from some old equipment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/38mm-Wire-Axial ... B007PQ0K02
I wish I had a few more now TBH.

8781707868_b637490059_b.jpg

thats cheap enough but yes it could always get one from a old computer theres hundreds over our local tip all the time ...
it would just have to do it sneeky as your not aloud to take any thing ..i nicked 6 fridge light bulbs and 2 metal rung shelves the other day over there ...i had a few funny looks but one guy said just say you were dropping off a fridge ...lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time since I started this thread and now need a new temp controller on my return to brewing.

Does anyone still make an STC-1000 ready wired with two sockets like Cedartronica used to? I can’t find any online.

Hi all! I have the wireless version of the Elitech STC-1000 Pro, but am not sure if I have the correct app. The only one that seems to be correct would be Elitech iCold. Who can ever app I have tried, I just get an error pop up in Chinese when I enter the GUID to find the controller. Any suggestions????

The Inkbird does look good - I have heard good things about it. I have managed to get the app up and running for my STC1000, so almost have everything up and running for brew day!

Back