Temperature.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiddlyWin

Reaction score
Quick question guys. I'm going to be turning my garage in to a brewing area. Its a single brick built garage, and as its coming up to winter I want to able to make sure I can leave fermentation buckets in their. I also want to make it as cost effective as possible inc as little electric as well.
:)

when you say leave fermentation buckets there do you mean full ones not clean and empty. I would brew a czech style pilsner in the winter then switch to beer in the spring/summer.

Just wrap them in a blanket or old duvet to maintain whatever temperature you are fermenting at

Fermentation control is one of the most critical part of brewing imo. If you could get an energy efficient fridge, a tube heater and put together an STC (really easy) then you can ferment at what ever temp you want to, when ever you want to.

You can brew seasonally like suggested, but you'll not have proper control.

The Garage will be my main brewing area and it gets damn cold in there as the insulation is crappy, really crappy and during autumn/ winter time its going to drop way below 10oC. I will also be brewing more than just Beer at any one time and I really don't want to let the weather deiced what I want to Brew :D. I'm just wondering if theres a cheap methods of keeping as much heat in the area I've placed my buckets as possible using an ok supply of electric or even better no electric at all.

Fermentation control is one of the most critical part of brewing imo. If you could get an energy efficient fridge, a tube heater and put together an STC (really easy) then you can ferment at what ever temp you want to, when ever you want to.

You can brew seasonally like suggested, but you'll not have proper control.

Yea ive been looking for a fridge on freecycle for one in my area, but alas, nothing yet. :-D

Your only real option in this case is a brew fridge, you can use blankets and heating belts, but that just keeps it warm when its cold and won't chill it when its hot, get a larder fridge if you can, you can stack two FV's in or use the top space for storage or conditioning.

My brewery is located in the garage and i've got the same problem, red hot in summer and freezing in winter.

If i was designing my brewing area from scratch i'd make sure i had loads of storage space and lots of work surface to, just bottled up and stuff was every where

Hi Tiddly
I have a brew fridge but the "acquired" more FVs so my work around is old kitchen units insulated with kingspan one has electrim heat pad, other has fish tank heater/trug. Not pretty, granted but only in depths of winter do they sometimes need insulating with a towel, and fairly efficient.

Rob.

Your only real option in this case is a brew fridge, you can use blankets and heating belts, but that just keeps it warm when its cold and won't chill it when its hot, get a larder fridge if you can, you can stack two FV's in or use the top space for storage or conditioning.

My brewery is located in the garage and i've got the same problem, red hot in summer and freezing in winter.

If i was designing my brewing area from scratch i'd make sure i had loads of storage space and lots of work surface to, just bottled up and stuff was every where

I have the whole garage at my disposal. The wife wont step foot in there, which is good for me, bad for her when she wants the wine. I have my work cut out for me, we had a lot of water damage last year and the roof had to be replaced. So its my job now to rip everything out, including the work bench at the back of the garage and rebuild it. This means I get to plan my set up and as you say plan for lots of storage space.

My current thinking is it build some sort of raised floor with a cheapish insulation product. I dunno, I'm spitballing at the moment. The 1st brew is going to be done in the house :)

I have the whole garage at my disposal. The wife wont step foot in there, which is good for me, bad for her when she wants the wine. I have my work cut out for me, we had a lot of water damage last year and the roof had to be replaced. So its my job now to rip everything out, including the work bench at the back of the garage and rebuild it. This means I get to plan my set up and as you say plan for lots of storage space.

My current thinking is it build some sort of raised floor with a cheapish insulation product. I dunno, I'm spitballing at the moment. The 1st brew is going to be done in the house :)

Wow you have free rain to create a proper brewery there, i'd seal and paint the floor, buy in some stainless steel racking, run water in and fit a nice stainless steel sink into the work surface, fit a few power points, a nice stainless steel preparation bench and fit up a couple of larder size brew fridges side by side. In addition i'd fit some heating in, its a real chore being out there dead of winter, some halogen light tubes for lighting.
If its a real big garage then maybe fit a stud wall half way down and turn half into a pub, a small bar, pump your beer direct from your Corny keg to the bar, a few armchairs and a wide screen TV and you'll have yourself a real man cave :razz:

Wow you have free rain to create a proper brewery there, i'd seal and paint the floor, buy in some stainless steel racking, run water in and fit a nice stainless steel sink into the work surface, fit a few power points, a nice stainless steel preparation bench and fit up a couple of larder size brew fridges side by side. In addition i'd fit some heating in, its a real chore being out there dead of winter, some halogen light tubes for lighting.
If its a real big garage then maybe fit a stud wall half way down and turn half into a pub, a small bar, pump your beer direct from your Corny keg to the bar, a few armchairs and a wide screen TV and you'll have yourself a real man cave :razz:

My thoughts exactly :rofl::rofl:

What would be the best sealer for a concrete floor? I plan on raising it as well and insulating it with Polystyrene. Ive looked in to a Liquid sealer, but I'm no builder by any stretch :D

What would be the best sealer for a concrete floor? I plan on raising it as well and insulating it with Polystyrene. Ive looked in to a Liquid sealer, but I'm no builder by any stretch :D

Not sure i can help with floor sealer as i'm not a builder either, best bet is to google it and then work out how to do it on youtube, you could always just invest in garage floor matting which is a hard flooring that clicks together to cover the concrete, its fairly cheap and easy to fit, and looks great when down.

In all seriousness, think carefully about what you need and how that need will expand in the future, i've only been brewing now a few weeks and already my kit and and needs have changed, what started as a corner of my annexed garage has pretty much now taken over the entire annex, and on brew or bottle days i seems to shuffle to and from the kitchen collecting or moving stuff around, it would be nice to have everything in one easy to reach place / area where i've plenty of work space to move around, FV's buckets, plastic boxes, kettle, water, bottles etc etc all take up loads of space, so get an idea and then times it by 2

What I wouldnt do for a garage with running water and a sink! Got a pretty good man cave in the shed and brew fridge etc but I would be saved a whole load of domestic conflict if I could keep the whole process out of the kitchen :nono:

What I wouldnt do for a garage with running water and a sink! Got a pretty good man cave in the shed and brew fridge etc but I would be saved a whole load of domestic conflict if I could keep the whole process out of the kitchen :nono:

Easy solution - just drill yourself a bore hole in the garden, that way you'll have tons of free pure water to brew with and wash down etc direct from the water table. Heres some DIY instructions how to dig your own well

http://www.drillyourownwell.com

Or you could hire in a company, though personally i'd have a go myself as it sounds like a bit of an adventure :lol:

Like the Meerkat says "Simples"

Easy solution - just drill yourself a bore hole in the garden, that way you'll have tons of free pure water to brew with and wash down etc direct from the water table. Heres some DIY instructions how to dig your own well

http://www.drillyourownwell.com

Or you could hire in a company, though personally i'd have a go myself as it sounds like a bit of an adventure :lol:

Like the Meerkat says "Simples"

And depending where you are in the country, if you dig deep enough you might be able to do a bit of fracking at the same time - free gas to use with your burner. Double Bubble!

Latest posts

Back