That awkward second lift

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kit brewing at the moment and soon to progress to grain.

I brew in a 5 gallon container on a kitchen surface to the end of fermentation and then rack into another 5 gallon container on the floor to finish off and rest for a few days before bottling.
This means I have to lift the second container up onto the kitchen surface before bottling.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Cheers chaps

I never use a secondary as it is just more risk of oxidisation and infection.
If you have a good robust process and let the trub etc settle in the primary your beer will generally be just as clear

I never use a secondary as it is just more risk of oxidisation and infection.
If you have a good robust process and let the trub etc settle in the primary your beer will generally be just as clear
Thanks folks. It's a habit I have had for a few years - using a secondary fermentation vessel.
I thought there would be less chance of the trub getting sucked into the last few bottles as I racked.
Is there any danger of the trub ' affecting' the beer if left in contact for a few days or more after fermentation has finished?
Perhaps I'm over thinking things?

So no need to let the brew 'rest' after fermentation?

Many thanks, really appreciate the comments.

Matt'

No short length trub or yeast contact will not cause any issues. Some brewers leave in on the yeast/trub for 3 weeks etc.
You are falling into the anal brigades ideas which some go to the enth degree and do things beyond what is needed.
Brewing is quite simple it then becomes only as complicated as you make it.
Somethings are worth listening to and doing but using secondary is not essential it is a choice and will not make clearer beer it is the process that does that

I always rack off into another container to bottle (I use a conical fermenter most of the time, so I can dump the trub, but I do use buckets too sometimes if I have the conical already in use). If I used kegs, there would be a high likelihood that I wouldn't even bother to rack off, but I don't like to bottle with trub.
The conical I don't need to lift, but there is no way I can lift the bucket all the way up to to countertop height on my own and my husband suspiciously hides on bottling day. I put them on a plastic box that is about 35-40 cm tall, I can lift it about that height on my own, and and use an auto syphon. Works fine for me.

Last edited:
I've stopped bottling but I bottled from the fermenter once and never again. I've never transferred to a secondary and just transferred to my bottling bucket (right before bottling) when fermentation was done. Two benefits that jump to mind are leaving all the trub behind in the fermenter and you can batch prime.
If you really want less hassle then consider kegging. It's so much better IMO.

It is not at all essential to use a secondary I can see the point in a bottling bucket if that is your process but this is used at the moment before bottling.
If you have (AG) used your protofloc and transferred to the Fv let the yeast do its job then allow time for trub and dead yeast cells to fallout the beer will be as clear as using a secondary.
It maybe that some brewers do not or have difficulty syphoning from above the trub which with the right syphoning tube is easy or I find it easy.
It maybe that some brewers do not use that most important method of time and rush it to bottle.
Do what suits but if you are worried use a good fining agent plus the usual protofloc in your brewing process, most micro breweries do not transfer but go straight to keg/cask and th big boys filter and maybe this is what drives some homebrewers to get beer as clear as theirs which is not natural beer.
Most of my beer is clear within a week or so of kegging and as you drink it it clears to sometimes as clear as commercial, again it is a choice but just another chance of oxidising or getting infections after all your hard work and effort.
Time is your friend

Right, the OP now doesn't need the secondary fermentation step but may still venture into batch priming,as lots of us do. This still represents the original question of getting the vessel back up to the work top.
I batch prime and just lift it but if my batch size goes any bigger or my back gets worse I won't be.
So,what's the answer?
I also carry the full fv from the house to the fv fridge in the garage and back when it's done. Again,not sustainable.

You can get some very sturdy 15L buckets from Malt Miller etc. They’re fine for stacking when full if you want to split a batch for fermentation, or for kitting out as a bottling bucket. Half the weight to lift!

If you have the work surface space it looks like using a pump to transfer so as no lifting required for filling primary and a bottling bucket is probably the answer.
It is extra cost and sanitising but it will make the job/hobby easier

kegging is right for most it is just the extra cost but do remember you are only the custodian of the keg as it will return as much as you pay for it or more so it is a no brainer

Latest posts

Back