The Barge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it really disturbing that no one mentions Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, who all had empires The world over, it's always England who gets mentioned' really really does sadden me asad1
That's very true @Rodcx500z and some of the atrocities exceed, even our own. I was reading about Leopold II devastation of the Congo recently and how he chopped off the hands and genitals of his dissenters. 10 million slaughtered.
It would make a fascinating discussion, but we're talking about the UK's reluctance to help out others in need, for purely political reasons, based on a xenophobia which is fundamentally alien to our nature, but has been whipped up by the tabloid press who control (not "are under the control of") the political policy in this country.

I find it really disturbing that no one mentions Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, who all had empires The world over, it's always England who gets mentioned' really really does sadden me asad1

You don't often get francophone migrants in the UK, most of them stay in France, you see language and extended family might be the draw...

That's very true @Rodcx500z and some of the atrocities exceed, even our own. I was reading about Leopold II devastation of the Congo recently and how he chopped off the hands and genitals of his dissenters. 10 million slaughtered.
It would make a fascinating discussion, but we're talking about the UK's reluctance to help out others in need, for purely political reasons, based on a xenophobia which is fundamentally alien to our nature, but has been whipped up by the tabloid press who control (not "are under the control of") the political policy in this country.
I don't think as a nation we are reluctant to help those in genuine need, but when you look at who is coming i for one do not believe they are all genuine not by a long shot

You copy/paste headlines from a newspaper you don't read? Presumably you didn't read the article either

I thought members would like the headline at least it was on topic! i didn't say i had read the article.

Here is an article i did read and posted two posts later -

EU blocks deal which would allow Channel migrants to be sent back to France
Brussels has reportedly rejected Britain's attempts to strike a returns agreement.
Tory MP says French could stop small boats 'overnight'

The EU has ruled out a deal which would allow Channel migrants to be sent back to France, according to reports.
Leaked documents show a European Commission official told Britain's national security adviser earlier this year that the bloc was not open to a returns agreement.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak hoped such a pact would help tackle the small boats crisis.
But notes of a meeting this summer between European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s head of cabinet Bjoern Siebert and Sir Tim Barrow make clear Brussels would not strike a deal.
The Cabinet Office memo, seen by the Daily Mail, says of the EU official: "He stressed that the Commission is not open to a UK-EU readmissions agreement."
A European Commission spokesman disputed claims that Mr Siebert rejected a returns pact.

The UK has resorted to lobbying the EU after repeated refusals from France on an agreement.
When Britain was a member of the bloc some migrants were returned under the Dublin Regulation, which allows asylum seekers to be deported to the first country they enter.
A Government source said: "The EU can’t even agree a migration deal between themselves so it’s no surprise they aren’t willing to discuss a readmissions agreement with us.
"Even under the Dublin Agreement we took more people than we sent the other way."
It comes as more than 100,000 migrants have made the dangerous journey across the Channel in rubber dinghies since 2018.
Some Tory MPs are calling for Britain to quit the European Convention on Human Rights, which is ruled on by the European Court of Human Rights, in order to tackle the issue.
It is understood UK ministers still hope a returns deal can be struck with Brussels and believe it would act as a deterrent.
A Government spokesman said: "We remain open to working with the EU to take forward negotiations on a UK-EU returns deal."

Last edited:
As some will know i have stated many times why i don't vote, i have not voted since 1972 and that includes brexit, this is the reason i don't vote

Threads merged - Admin.

This is a load of rubbish, a Conservative "influencer" absolving the Tory government of every mistake. Thinking that the civil service are the problem is excusing this government for all of the mistakes it has made.
The civil servants can only do what they are told, and has been seen they can be fired or dismissed, either officially or by constructive methods.
Braverman has tried to put into place totally unworkable illegal methods and when they aren't successful it is the civil servant that gets the blame. And Braverman isn't the only one.
One thing that this 13 years of tory government has done is change the expectations of the people. Johnson would/should never have been allowed back in cabinet for lying, the list is too long to go through all of them, but this tory shambles has consistently lowered ethics and morals and one of the things they do is say everybody does it, which is not true. Look it up.
We are being lied to left right and centre, every one is entitled to an opinion or to believe what they think is happening, right or wrong i believe this is the truth

Left aren't in power, the centre aren't in power, it's only those in power and their stooges (including the guy on the video) that are lying.

This is a load of rubbish, a Conservative "influencer" absolving the Tory government of every mistake. Thinking that the civil service are the problem is excusing this government for all of the mistakes it has made.
The civil servants can only do what they are told, and has been seen they can be fired or dismissed, either officially or by constructive methods.
Braverman has tried to put into place totally unworkable illegal methods and when they aren't successful it is the civil servant that gets the blame. And Braverman isn't the only one.
One thing that this 13 years of tory government has done is change the expectations of the people. Johnson would/should never have been allowed back in cabinet for lying, the list is too long to go through all of them, but this tory shambles has consistently lowered ethics and morals and one of the things they do is say everybody does it, which is not true. Look it up.

Left aren't in power, the centre aren't in power, it's only those in power and their stooges (including the guy on the video) that are lying.
To many are saying it for them all to be wrong, god help us what has happened to this great country it is being destroyed from within by it's own people well some of them

I thought members would like the headline at least it was on topic! i didn't say i had read the article.

Here is an article i did read and posted two posts later -

EU blocks deal which would allow Channel migrants to be sent back to France
Brussels has reportedly rejected Britain's attempts to strike a returns agreement.
Tory MP says French could stop small boats 'overnight'

The EU has ruled out a deal which would allow Channel migrants to be sent back to France, according to reports.
Leaked documents show a European Commission official told Britain's national security adviser earlier this year that the bloc was not open to a returns agreement.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak hoped such a pact would help tackle the small boats crisis.
But notes of a meeting this summer between European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s head of cabinet Bjoern Siebert and Sir Tim Barrow make clear Brussels would not strike a deal.
The Cabinet Office memo, seen by the Daily Mail, says of the EU official: "He stressed that the Commission is not open to a UK-EU readmissions agreement."
A European Commission spokesman disputed claims that Mr Siebert rejected a returns pact.

The UK has resorted to lobbying the EU after repeated refusals from France on an agreement.
When Britain was a member of the bloc some migrants were returned under the Dublin Regulation, which allows asylum seekers to be deported to the first country they enter.
A Government source said: "The EU can’t even agree a migration deal between themselves so it’s no surprise they aren’t willing to discuss a readmissions agreement with us.
"Even under the Dublin Agreement we took more people than we sent the other way."
It comes as more than 100,000 migrants have made the dangerous journey across the Channel in rubber dinghies since 2018.
Some Tory MPs are calling for Britain to quit the European Convention on Human Rights, which is ruled on by the European Court of Human Rights, in order to tackle the issue.
It is understood UK ministers still hope a returns deal can be struck with Brussels and believe it would act as a deterrent.
A Government spokesman said: "We remain open to working with the EU to take forward negotiations on a UK-EU returns deal."
If you posted it two posts earlier, why re-post it?

Just for giggles so don't take serious

1692210011131.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to live in Dover. The migrants were the main reason for me and my family relocating to the southwest of the country.
Had it been families fleeing oppression, I would have understood it.
BUT, it was ALL young males - no wives, children, grandparents etc.
Back then' (20+ years ago), my wife couldn't walk home from work without being leered at, even touched inappropriately by those supposedly seeking refuge. I could never see the day that my young boys could ever walk to school on their own.
It was then, and I suspect now, a purely economic reason for them to gravitate to England.
I haven't been back for many years now, even though I still have family and friends there, and I can't see me going back anytime soon...

I used to live in Dover. The migrants were the main reason for me and my family relocating to the southwest of the country.
Had it been families fleeing oppression, I would have understood it.
BUT, it was ALL young males - no wives, children, grandparents etc.
Back then' (20+ years ago), my wife couldn't walk home from work without being leered at, even touched inappropriately by those supposedly seeking refuge. I could never see the day that my young boys could ever walk to school on their own.
It was then, and I suspect now, a purely economic reason for them to gravitate to England.
I haven't been back for many years now, even though I still have family and friends there, and I can't see me going back anytime soon...
There is a very good reason that migrants are mainly young males. See for example:
https://care4calais.org/the-refugee-crisis/why-are-there-more-men-in-calais/
As for the despicable behaviour you describe, how do you know they were migrants? Leering etc was commonplace in the 70s / 80s. My wife worked in the immigration service (in Dover) in the 80's, and that sort of dreadful behaviour was common amongst her (male) colleagues.

Funnily enough, I also used to work in the Port of Dover in the 80's, and had many friends in both immigration, and customs and excise (as it was then). I can't say that I have ever heard of the sort of behaviour you describe in either of the professions.
It was blatantly obvious that these people were migrants, due to the lack of spoken English, attire, appearance, etc.

Funnily enough, I also used to work in the Port of Dover in the 80's, and had many friends in both immigration, and customs and excise (as it was then). I can't say that I have ever heard of the sort of behaviour you describe in either of the professions.
It was blatantly obvious that these people were migrants, due to the lack of spoken English, attire, appearance, etc.
I think you might be treading on dodgy ground there.

Were these friends men by any chance?
Whatever you may have heard second hand doesn't mean that my wife's experience wasn't real. She left the job after a year largely because of it.

Latest posts

Back