The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rishi Sunak has rejected calls for an immediate general election, saying his "working assumption" is still that it will be in the second half of the year.

Sir Keir Starmer said the PM was "scared" to face voters over his record on immigration and mortgage rates.
Mr Sunak said he thought Sir Keir would be "grateful" for a delay because "he has now actually got time to come up with a plan for Britain".
The Labour leader told him: "We are ready. Just call it."
The clash at Prime Minister's Questions was the final time the two will face each other before MPs go on their Easter break.

Mr Sunak continues to be dogged by reports that some rebel Tory MPs are plotting to replace him as prime minister before the general election, which must be held by January next year at the latest.
The Conservatives have fallen further behind Labour in the opinion polls since Chancellor Jeremy Hunt's tax-cutting Budget aimed at reversing their fortunes.
But Mr Sunak arrived at Prime Minister's Questions with a spring in his step after better-than-expected inflation figures, telling MPs it showed his plan was working.

Sir Keir didn't question Mr Sunak on inflation - instead he claimed half of the PM's cabinet wanted to replace him.
He said Mr Sunak was "so diminished" that his "entire focus is on stopping his MPs holding the sword of Damocles above his head, perhaps even literally".
This was a reference to Commons leader Penny Mordaunt, who has been at the centre of Tory leadership speculation and who famously carried the Sword of State during the King's coronation ceremony.
Mr Sunak claimed Labour "didn't actually care" about "fixing" the immigration system because they had opposed his plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda.
Sir Keir attacked the Rwanda scheme as an expensive "gimmick" and hit back at Mr Sunak's claims about him defending foreign criminals in his former career as a lawyer.

"I have prosecuted more people smugglers than he's had helicopter rides - and that's a lot," he told the PM.
He then renewed his call for a general election to put an end to "mortgage mayhem, the waiting lists, the criminals walking free" and "Tory chaos".
Mr Sunak last week ruled out a general election on 2 May, when England and Wales votes in local elections - and Jeremy Hunt dropped a hint on Tuesday that it would happen in October.
"As I said in January, my working assumption is that the election will be in the second half of the year," Mr Sunak told MPs.

'Pull together'

He said he was still waiting to hear how Labour would pay for increased borrowing, adding the government's plan is "working".
"That is the choice: higher taxes and back to square one with Labour or tax cuts and real change with the Conservatives," said the PM.
He will urge Tory MPs to "pull together" and focus on the "improving" economic picture when he addresses a meeting of the 1922 committee of backbenchers later, his spokeswoman said.
Plotting rebels have reportedly talked up the prospect of Penny Mordaunt or security minister Tom Tugendhat, both former leadership contenders, replacing Mr Sunak in Downing Street should he face a confidence vote.
Asked about the reports on Tuesday, Ms Mordaunt said she was "getting on with my job".
Downing Street refused to say whether Mr Sunak had held talks with Ms Mordaunt since the reports first emerged over the weekend.
Asked if the PM was disappointed Ms Mordaunt had not firmly denied being part of a plot to replace him, his spokeswoman said: "What the prime minister wants is all of his Cabinet ministers and the wider Conservative team to focus on delivering for the country."

BBC News

1710953224158.png

Why dont this lot of clueless ***** do the decent thing and call a general election and get it over with they couldn't run a cock-up in a brothel.

The House of Lords has inflicted a fresh defeat on the government over its flagship Rwanda bill.

A Labour proposal to include a provision to ensure "due regard" for domestic and international law was passed by 271 to 228 votes.
It means there could be a further delay in the draft bill becoming law as it must now return to the Commons.
The legislation aims to revive the government's plan to send some asylum seekers to Rwanda.
It declares the east African country is safe, after deportation flights were stalled by the Supreme Court ruling the government's plan could lead to human rights breaches.
The scheme is central to the prime minister's pledge to "stop the boats" as it seeks to deter people from making the dangerous journey across the Channel.

Opposing the Labour amendment, Home Office Minister Lord Sharpe insisted there was nothing in the bill which conflicts with the UK's international obligations.
The bill must now return to the Commons in a process known as "ping pong", where it is batted between the two Parliamentary chambers until they can agree the final wording.
Another vote will probably have to wait until MPs return from their Easter break on 15 April, unless the government clears the Commons schedule to allow votes next week.
This could threaten Downing Street's ambition to get the first flights off the ground this spring.
No 10 officials insist that even if the legislation is not passed until after Easter, their target date can still be met.
On Monday, MPs voted down 10 amendments to the draft law proposed by peers earlier this month and they are likely to again reject any further changes put forward in the House of Lords.
Other changes being considered by the Lords include a proposal from Labour peer Lord Browne that individuals who have supported the UK armed forces overseas should be exempt from deportation to Rwanda.
Meanwhile, crossbench peer Lord Hope has put forward an amendment that Rwanda only be deemed a safe country once a treaty bringing in new safeguards has been fully implemented.
Home Office Minister Michael Tomlinson has described the proposals put forward by peers as "wrecking amendments".
Ahead of the Lords debate, Home Secretary James Cleverly urged peers to allow the bill to pass.
"The more this bill progresses, the more worried Labour get that, as we've always said, it will work and the more we've anticipated deliberate efforts from Labour to delay, disrupt or sabotage the scheme," he told the Daily Express.
"We remain focused on not letting that happen, and hope their lordships recognise it's time to let this bill pass so we can continue to stop the boats, and save lives."
Labour's Home Affairs spokesman Lord Coaker said the party had no intention of blocking the bill completely.
Labour has said it would scrap the Rwanda scheme if it wins power, even if flights take off before the next general election.
However, asked if any individuals already sent to the country would be returned to the UK under a Labour government, a party spokesman said they would not, adding: "If the scheme is up and running you have to accept the decisions the government has already made."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68618570

At least the Lords are doing as they are designed to do highlight where commons have failed to uphold the rule of law both domestic and international. For all the bad press the Lords get we should be thankful they exist to hold the commons to account when required. Having worked in the cabinet office I can say hand in heart this government are beyond return and to most it's clear we need change.
I just fear what the alternative is and living in Scotland the impact may be negligible as labour Scotland is so disconnected from UK labour

Interesting statistic on 5 live this morning -

The cost of sending each person to Ruanda is going to be £2,000,000 which is the same as sending them to France and putting them up in the Ritz for four years.
Except we can't send them to France now thanks to Brexit. And that's not including all the multi-£billions spent on operations in the Channel - it would just be so much cheaper to just give a ferry ticket to the people who want to come or open a processing centre in Calais - puts the smuggling gangs out of business, and saves the UK £billions on surveillance drones and all the rest of the show that is put on for the benefit of Daily Mail readers.

But they care more about good newspaper headlines than being careful with taxpayers' money.

Except we can't send them to France now thanks to Brexit
I think she knew that when she said it she was pointing out how ridiculous this whole thing is and it's now on hold again while they are all on holiday so that'll be another £120 million plus down the drain.

Ground braking idea how about we allow people to apply for asylum when they are OUTSIDE the UK the ridiculous situation where you can only apply when you have reached the UK is the real issue, put simply unless express acts are invoked there is NO other way to apply for asylum.

Plus if we had the staff to actually process applications that be a start look it up in the last 15 years staff numbers have reduced, but the bit no one really shouts about is that the grade structure has radically changed in essence much junior grade staff are now processing applications where it used to be a larger team overseen by seniors.

Rwanda is smoke screen at best its not the root cause of the problem and they know it, but plays to right wing and that is all they are caring about as they cling on.

Needs to be a grown up discussion, this country needs migration, the argument that migration steals jobs is a farce, sensible manged migration works all over the world, look at any other country, look at almost any public service they are supported by migration where required, this ridiculous idea that only highly skilled and well paid are good for the country is laughable. Pre Brexit a huge amount of seasonal workers came over to do fruit, veg picking and many other labour intensive tasks that were not being done, most stay a year or 2 and return home, tell me how that is not beneficial? seen how much fruit and veg has shot up? not just Covid and Putin that caused that.

Final rant if we cant process applicants in reasonable timescale why can we not let them work and pay taxes hence contribute to society? Many want to and would work and earn if they were allowed.

You have some points, but, there is a problem. If you let them work then that would encourage more to come. The other problem is if they fail in there application where and how would you send them back?

Brexit imho has got a lot to answer for.

But even before brexit there was a problem of migrants coming across the channel to work illegally in the UK.

Since you are from Glasgow, do you not remember the World Pipe Band championship that was held at the green? Three teems from Pakistan entered but failed to turn up to the event.

You have some points, but, there is a problem. If you let them work then that would encourage more to come. The other problem is if they fail in there application where and how would you send them back?

Brexit imho has got a lot to answer for.

But even before brexit there was a problem of migrants coming across the channel to work illegally in the UK.

Since you are from Glasgow, do you not remember the World Pipe Band championship that was held at the green? Three teems from Pakistan entered but failed to turn up to the event.

I am not saying I have all the answers far from it I fully support a robust extradition agreement, but that requires fostering relations with Europe and beyond something this government have not been able to do.

Ideally I would not like anyone to enter without security checks and being fully processed, until this happens tho I can not support the ban on working and paying taxes, this is absurd and not the model followed in other countries.

We have created the situation where you must be in the country to apply so in effect have created the small boats mess, if we ever get agreement with France and beyond then why can we not do this before they reach our shores then its simple if they have been refused they are sent to Rwanda or the like as then the are clearly braking the law and trying to flout the system.

I am not sure this would increase numbers tbh lets not confuse legal and illegal migration they are very different, we NEED legal migration in some areas, that should be part of a wider employment strategy.

I do not support the idea we close our doors to everyone, there are cases of asylum that are genuine, we need to assess these applications quicker, make it clear attempting to come here without approval will result in Rwanda or the like. The point I am getting at is if the application can be made outside the UK surely this decreases the small boat trade as legal applications could then be made in France or wherever if we reached that agreement with Europe.

Questions are being asked about the timing of this and the fact £5 million was donated by Mohamed Mansour in 2001 which was the biggest donation that year.

A major Conservative Party donor and four Tory MPs have been awarded honours.
Businessman Mohamed Mansour, who is a senior treasurer for the party, has been given a knighthood, along with Farming Minister Mark Spencer and Shipley MP Philip Davies.
Meanwhile, former ministers Tracey Crouch and Harriett Baldwin have been given damehoods.
The Reform UK party accused the Tories of cronyism.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak recommended the honours to the King.
Typically lists of people who have received honours are published at New Year and on the King's official birthday in June.
However, the announcement, which also included honours for film director Christopher Nolan and his wife, film producer Emma Thomas, came at the start of the Parliamentary recess.
Last year Sir Mohamed donated £5m to the Tory Party, which at the time was the party's biggest donation since 2001.
The Egyptian-born business tycoon, who has British citizenship, is the chairman of the Mansour Group and founded the London-based investment firm Man Capital.
Sir Mohamed was once a politician in Egypt, where he served as a transport minister from 2006 to 2009 under Hosni Mubarak, the late Egyptian president who stood down in 2011 during the Arab Spring.
He has been honoured for his services to business, charity and political service.
However, Labour criticised the decision to award him an honour.
Party chairwoman Anneliese Dodds said: "This is either the arrogant act of an entitled man who's stopped caring what the public thinks, or the demob-happy self-indulgence of someone who doesn't expect to be prime minister much longer.
"Either way, it shows a blatant disrespect for the office he should feel privileged to hold."
Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper said: "Sunak has once again shown just how out of touch he is by handing out gongs to donors bankrolling his party who have plunged the economy into a recession."
Reform UK leader Richard Tice accused the Tories of "toxic" cronyism.
"[The] whole thing stinks like rotting fish," he wrote on X.
A Number 10 source pointed to Sir Mohamed's "extensive public and charity service", including his support for the Prince's Foundation, now the King's Foundation.

Sir Mark, who is the MP for Sherwood, has been a minister since 2022.
Sir Philip, who has been an MP since 2005, has served on numerous parliamentary committees.
His wife, Esther McVey, was appointed to the cabinet last year, in a role dubbed "minister for common sense".
Sir Philip said he was "somewhat flabbergasted" by the news of his honour, adding "it feels very surreal".
Dame Tracey, who represents Chatham and Aylesford, is a former sports minister.
She is among 63 Tory MPs who have said they will stand down at the next election, after she recovered from breast cancer.
West Worcestershire MP Dame Harriet is a former Foreign Office minister and currently chairs the Commons Treasury Committee.
Meanwhile Democratic Unionist Party MP Gregory Campbell has also been made a CBE.
The MP for East Londonderry is the DUP's spokesman for international development.

BBC news

I am not saying I have all the answers far from it I fully support a robust extradition agreement, but that requires fostering relations with Europe and beyond something this government have not been able to do.

Ideally I would not like anyone to enter without security checks and being fully processed, until this happens tho I can not support the ban on working and paying taxes, this is absurd and not the model followed in other countries.

We have created the situation where you must be in the country to apply so in effect have created the small boats mess, if we ever get agreement with France and beyond then why can we not do this before they reach our shores then its simple if they have been refused they are sent to Rwanda or the like as then the are clearly braking the law and trying to flout the system.

I am not sure this would increase numbers tbh lets not confuse legal and illegal migration they are very different, we NEED legal migration in some areas, that should be part of a wider employment strategy.

I do not support the idea we close our doors to everyone, there are cases of asylum that are genuine, we need to assess these applications quicker, make it clear attempting to come here without approval will result in Rwanda or the like. The point I am getting at is if the application can be made outside the UK surely this decreases the small boat trade as legal applications could then be made in France or wherever if we reached that agreement with Europe.
I agree populations need to keep expanding, not declining. Let them work and stay. It is unfortunate that the migrants can't be selected but such is life. The economy relies on population growth get as many in as you can.

Questions are being asked about the timing of this and the fact £5 million was donated by Mohamed Mansour in 2001 which was the biggest donation that year.

A major Conservative Party donor and four Tory MPs have been awarded honours.
Businessman Mohamed Mansour, who is a senior treasurer for the party, has been given a knighthood, along with Farming Minister Mark Spencer and Shipley MP Philip Davies.
Meanwhile, former ministers Tracey Crouch and Harriett Baldwin have been given damehoods.
The Reform UK party accused the Tories of cronyism.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak recommended the honours to the King.
Typically lists of people who have received honours are published at New Year and on the King's official birthday in June.
However, the announcement, which also included honours for film director Christopher Nolan and his wife, film producer Emma Thomas, came at the start of the Parliamentary recess.
Last year Sir Mohamed donated £5m to the Tory Party, which at the time was the party's biggest donation since 2001.
The Egyptian-born business tycoon, who has British citizenship, is the chairman of the Mansour Group and founded the London-based investment firm Man Capital.
Sir Mohamed was once a politician in Egypt, where he served as a transport minister from 2006 to 2009 under Hosni Mubarak, the late Egyptian president who stood down in 2011 during the Arab Spring.
He has been honoured for his services to business, charity and political service.
However, Labour criticised the decision to award him an honour.
Party chairwoman Anneliese Dodds said: "This is either the arrogant act of an entitled man who's stopped caring what the public thinks, or the demob-happy self-indulgence of someone who doesn't expect to be prime minister much longer.
"Either way, it shows a blatant disrespect for the office he should feel privileged to hold."
Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper said: "Sunak has once again shown just how out of touch he is by handing out gongs to donors bankrolling his party who have plunged the economy into a recession."
Reform UK leader Richard Tice accused the Tories of "toxic" cronyism.
"[The] whole thing stinks like rotting fish," he wrote on X.
A Number 10 source pointed to Sir Mohamed's "extensive public and charity service", including his support for the Prince's Foundation, now the King's Foundation.

Sir Mark, who is the MP for Sherwood, has been a minister since 2022.
Sir Philip, who has been an MP since 2005, has served on numerous parliamentary committees.
His wife, Esther McVey, was appointed to the cabinet last year, in a role dubbed "minister for common sense".
Sir Philip said he was "somewhat flabbergasted" by the news of his honour, adding "it feels very surreal".
Dame Tracey, who represents Chatham and Aylesford, is a former sports minister.
She is among 63 Tory MPs who have said they will stand down at the next election, after she recovered from breast cancer.
West Worcestershire MP Dame Harriet is a former Foreign Office minister and currently chairs the Commons Treasury Committee.
Meanwhile Democratic Unionist Party MP Gregory Campbell has also been made a CBE.
The MP for East Londonderry is the DUP's spokesman for international development.

BBC news

This government are determined to do as much damage as they can line their pockets and rewards their pals before they are kicked into touch. Should have been a general election when BoJo was drummer out. I know they won't but the next government should outlaw change of pm without a general election it makes a mockery of democracy. While on a rant ditch the outdated first past the post system. The Scottish and Welsh Assembly have shown this works and offers better representation across the board. Does it stop one party having a majority no not always, but what it does offer is better representation no wasted votes.
The current Westminster system is toxic and decisive it is so out of touch with the populous it's beyond repair. Labour needs to get over the fear of not having a majority I fully believe the PR would give them plenty of seats.
The current farce that means a majority can railroad any old **** is dangerous and undemocratic only saving grace has been the Lords

People call Starmer boring, but I think he’s quietly ruthless, as he’s been gradually disposing of the electoral liabilities.

5 years ago I frequently heard that “I can’t vote for Corbyn”. It didn’t take long for Starmer to find a way to eject Corbyn.

After that I heard “I can’t vote for any party with Diane Abbott”, and then she went in the bin too.

I’m now hearing the same things said about Angela Rayner, so I wonder if the Labour Party will now find her conduct unacceptable?

I think we know that
This government are determined to do as much damage as they can line their pockets and rewards their pals before they are kicked into touch. Should have been a general election when BoJo was drummer out. I know they won't but the next government should outlaw change of pm without a general election it makes a mockery of democracy. While on a rant ditch the outdated first past the post system. The Scottish and Welsh Assembly have shown this works and offers better representation across the board. Does it stop one party having a majority no not always, but what it does offer is better representation no wasted votes.
The current Westminster system is toxic and decisive it is so out of touch with the populous it's beyond repair. Labour needs to get over the fear of not having a majority I fully believe the PR would give them plenty of seats.
The current farce that means a majority can railroad any old **** is dangerous and undemocratic only saving grace has been the Lords

As you say I think the next 6 months are going to be carnage. There's no incentive for good behaviour within the Tory party, so getting anyone to toe the line is going to be hard.

I also expect that private companies in charge of national infrastructure are going to mightily take the p*ss too as they know they have a few months to get away with as much daylight robbery while the government is a lame duck.

Sunak probably wants an election in October, before the clocks go back. I think the next few months could get so bad that somebody is going to put a gun to his head to make it happen sooner.

Latest posts

Back