The Draymans' Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrayman

Mild & Bitter
Reaction score
SWMBO and I bought our first house last December (after 30+ years in a Disabled Persons Council House; mother was disabled and I had been her carer since I was at school). Married SWMBO on St. Georges Day 2010 and never looked-back. I've been full-mash home brewing for over 35 years now and, after mum passed away, and we bought this property the opportunity arose for me to have a dedicated brewing set-up (rather than keep using the kitchen). The brewing kit was purchased a while ago and has already produced some good ale so I know it all works well (as do my recipes) all I need to do now is prepare the brewing area (man cave?). So, here we go then...

Photos show the room just being used as a store but I'm now in the process of stripping one wall back to brick to prepare it for painting with white paint. The other walls are okay and can just be undercoated and painted over. Kingspan Therma insulation board has been placed in the ceiling between the supports and I intend to cover it with the white uPVC cladding used in bathrooms. When the painting is done and the ceiling fitted, I've got an electrician drinking buddy who is going to fit the strip light and 6 double-gang sockets. Then it'll be a case of laying some lino/vinyl floor covering and fitting a double-sink unit (there is already a drain in the corner of the room).

SWMBO is a 'rock'. She is from Thailand and loves our British real ales so she is very supportive of my hobby. I say 'hobby' but I've been approached by a couple of local pubs to supply them with beer so I'm also starting the process of contacting all the relevant authorities to register as a brewer so that some of the output from my hobby can be drunk in local hostelries. My current 100l set-up allows for an 18 gallon brew of around 4%.

I'll keep you updated as and when things happen.

Looks like its going to be a nice pleasant brewing area

Beer making in comfort...what more can a man ask for..... :clap:

Have now removed the tatty plasterboard from the wall opposite the brewing equipment. Don't intend to replace it, just going to go for the white masonry paint look (as with the other walls). Messy bit now with wire brush, cold chisel and scraper to tidy it up. Stopped for lunch break (which has been hi-jacked by SWMBO so we're going to do the shopping...). Time for a shower now, that dust gets everywhere...

you doing anything for extraction? (besides opening the door of course!) :)

At the old address I used this system.

As the copper is at the door-end of the table I'll be continuing with this method. Initially I'll be brewing with the doors open as I like my fresh air and I'll be throwing the trunking over the top of the open door. In time I'll either fit a chimney up through the roof or, alternatively, drill a hole in the breeze-block wall by the gas boiler and fit the external extractor there.

I got the idea from BarnsleyBrewer's forum post http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10150&start=40. In an email from him he said 'The mixing bowl was a 99p cheapy from Wilkinsons that's around 11" diameter on the outer edge. The holes in the 100L boiler lid were cut with my 1.5" Q-max cutter in a way that they're all inside the 11" edge to keep the steam directed into the pipe.' So I just followed that and it worked out great, no more steamy kitchens (the Upside), the downside being I have to stand outside now to get the great 'brewery' smell which used to drift across Portsmouth harbour from Brickwoods brewery on crisp autumnal mornings.

how did you cut the hole in the mixing bowl for the extractor pipe ?

Aha, thanks - that's simpler than I thought it might be :thumb:

Boil-off rates are by far the least predictable part of my brewdays, so I'm hoping this will help (as well as being better at steam removal than my current desk fan!).

thedrayman said:
the downside being I have to stand outside now to get the great 'brewery' smell which used to drift across Portsmouth harbour from Brickwoods brewery on crisp autumnal mornings.

:clap:

piddledribble said:
how did you cut the hole in the mixing bowl for the extractor pipe ?
I can not tell a lie, piddledribble, I didn't do that job myself. I have a buddy who is an aero-engineer (and rebuilds Triumph motor cycles in his spare time) and who likes his ale...so I asked him to tackle this job.

I've included a link here to an Adobe Acrobat file of his detailed description on how to drill out the (very thin) stainless bowl. What he did omit from the notes was that he also added a rubber grommet around the cut edge as, without it, it was like the edge of OddJobs bowler hat (if you're old enough to remember that - if-not, Google it).

http://www.newtownbrewery.co.uk/assets/ss_cutting.pdf - if the link doesn't work, let me know.

Finished the first of (hopefully two only) primer coats this morning on the bare brick wall. Second coat tomorrow.

amazing the difference a bit of elbow grease and some paint does , when are you planning to be up and brewing ? looks like it might be soon. :)

Hi pittsy,

Will be cycling to my local Wickes store for some more tins of primer this morning (why do they only sell it in SMALL tins??). Another coat (or touch-up) on the brick wall, then a single coat on the other walls (as they are basically sound) followed by a top-coat of emulsion (or two). Next job after that is to order the pvc ceiling cladding from ebay and get that up. When the ceiling is done I'll be getting some vinyl flooring down, then getting my mate the electrician to fit a strip light and six double-gang sockets. I've managed to find a 'compact' stainless steel sink with 1.5 basins that will fit under the gas boiler at the end of the brewing table so will need to find a plumber at my local pub to come and fit that in.

When the above jobs are done I can start brewing again (SWMBO is already missing my beer). Unfortunately I don't get much time to work on it but I'm hoping to be up-and-brewing in the new man-cave by the end of July.

I'm now awaiting written confirmation from Gosport Council that I don't require Planning Permission (they told me on the phone that it would be okay and they'd confirm in writing), then I can register with HMRC as a brewer and start ordering supplies. :party:

Well the work is going along (slowly). I've now finished painting the brick wall (which was going to be the 'mare') and this morning undercoated the other three walls, which where easier (and smaller) as one has the kitchen window in it. Busy tomorrow night so on Tuesday evening I'll get the top coat on the other walls. The uPVC cladding for the ceiling arrived from FleaBay and this will go up when the paint has dried on the walls. When those jobs are done, will get some vinyl floor covering down and my buddies the electrician and plumber in...then we should be good-to-brew.

I had a letter of approval (I think) from the planning department of the local council. Why is it they never give you a straight answer, yes or no? Basically they said I wont need planning permission for the quantities I said I'd be brewing, and the times I said I'd be brewing (Saturdays and Sundays, 2 x firkin brew length each day). However I'm sure, if I don't disturb the neighbours with too much noise and smell, I'll be able to slip-in an extra brew day on Fridays' after work :thumb: They also said I wasn't allowed to use the house address in any 'advertising material' or take-on any employees (SWMBO heaves a sigh of relief).

Here is a link to the councils' reply to me if you are interested http://www.newtownbrewery.co.uk/assets/planning_app_reply.pdf If the link doesn't work and you want to see the letter please PM me.

I'll post some more pics later this week.

Here is the 'brew-table' wall in undercoat. The window is handy as I can keep an eye on SWMBO in the kitchen. :hmm: ....or she can keep an eye on me in the brewery

Hi Mate!

Glad to see one of My systems still being used a couple of years later.

Look forward to seeing pics of the 1st brewday in the new brewhouse.

BZ

Hi BZ,
Yes it's been getting plenty of use. A lot has happened since mum passed away last year, not least having to (finally) move out of a Council house and get a mortgage (@ 55!). Luckily the home SWMBO chose had a room with 'brewery' potential so I can, at last, have a dedicated area to perform my miracles. :clap:

And now a couple of my local pubs want to sell my ale I'm going to be providing small amounts to them. The Council has said 4 x nines a weekend would be okay as long as I don't 'disturb' the neighbours; Sat & Sun brewdays then...but I may also fit one in on a Friday after work :whistle: . And as long as I use plastic casks and do my boil early mornings before the neighbours rise, all will be well I hope :cheers:

Once everything is done in the brewery I'll be registering with HMRC and ordering some supplies. Watch this space for photo updates. Nice to hear from you again, BZ.

Thanks to a helping hand from SWMBO, the uPVC ceiling cladding went up today.

Next step is to get the vinyl floor covering down, followed by getting the electrics done (just sockets for now, I'll be designing and building a custom control panel at a future date), and the plumbing. We're getting there!

Latest posts

Back