The Man from D.U.N.K.E.L.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPLMPL

Reaction score
Getting a sneaky fractured brew day in whilst my daughter is at a birthday party and son has a friend round to play. Was thinking of a stout, but it's getting a bit too warm to brew; however, it's ideal for a wheat beer. Dunkel is going on, grains steeping at the moment. I had no plans for this when I woke up this morning.

Title: The Man from Dunkel

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Dunkelweizen
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11.5 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12 liters
Efficiency: 50% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.07%
IBU (tinseth): 19.52
SRM (morey): 22.49

FERMENTABLES:
1.6 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (80%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.125 kg - German - CaraMunich III (6.3%)
0.125 kg - United Kingdom - Chocolate (6.3%)
0.15 kg - German - Caramel Wheat (7.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 4.4, IBU: 8.71)
25 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh for 15 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 4.4, IBU: 10.81)

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Wheat Beer Yeast WB-06
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 15 - 23.89 C

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2013-06-22 13:24 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-06-22 13:01 UTC

I hope this went well for you , sounds like a nice recipe , maybe a little high on munich 3 but if you like it that way then great . Just sampling 1 i've bottled a week and a bit ago , still too young but promising although a little too heavy on the dark malt taste .

pittsy said:
sounds like a nice recipe , maybe a little high on munich 3 but if you like it that way then great .
It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. I knew that I wanted to use the three malts, but wasn't sure of quantities, no time to ask for advice as I had to take advantage of an impromptu brew day. It's looking a bit porter-like, but I fancied seeing what that would taste like in a dunkel. I doubt it's true to the style, I just made it up! Tried to keep IBUs in check and ABV, colour is probably a bit dark, but I reckon it will work to my tastes. Fingers crossed.

Glad I went for the 25L fermentimg bin cf. 15L, there's 3 inch of krausen this morning. It would be all over the floor in the smaller bin.
I'm also happy that I abandoned the idea of brewing a stout, as this is currently fermenting at ~23°C. I guess this means banana rather than clove.
Can anyone tell me when the critical time for developing these flavours is, as I have no temperature control?

I just bottled a blond ale, fermented with WY 1214, I was a bit neglectful and it got up to 24 degrees at one point, it has a massive banana smell/flavour, a win I say but how much hangover inducing fusel alcohols will it have.....

I've seen a few people reccomend keeping the temp down for the first 48 hours to reduce fusel alcohol production but it is tricky without a fridge in this wether. T

13 days in primary in the 21-23 ºC range before bottling. FG 1.014 5.25%. Primed with sugar to approx 3.0 volumes of CO2.
First taste this evening after 1 week carbonating.
This is great stuff, Illya Kuryakin and Napolean Solo would be pleased. Carbonation is spot on. It's a dark dark brew, looking like a porter. Nose is banana/bubblegum. Taste is the expexcted tart wheat beer taste, with banana and clove but a huge lovely hit from the chocolate malt. Not sure if this is true to style, but it tastes great. There is some residual sweetness from the CaraMunich III which I think I would tone down the next time. I'll definitely brew this again, altough it will be BIAB next time, I have no complaints from using DME and dry WB-06 yeast, I'm getting the impression that wheat beers are quite a forgiving brew.
I think Pittsy made a similar comment on his recent dunkel: it's a wheat beer that will appeal to porter/stout fans, a wheat-porter. This is exactly what I was aiming for.

MPLMPL said:
13 days in primary in the 21-23 ºC range before bottling. FG 1.014 5.25%. Primed with sugar to approx 3.0 volumes of CO2.
First taste this evening after 1 week carbonating.
This is great stuff, Illya Kuryakin and Napolean Solo would be pleased. Carbonation is spot on. It's a dark dark brew, looking like a porter. Nose is banana/bubblegum. Taste is the expexcted tart wheat beer taste, with banana and clove but a huge lovely hit from the chocolate malt. Not sure if this is true to style, but it tastes great. There is some residual sweetness from the CaraMunich III which I think I would tone down the next time. I'll definitely brew this again, altough it will be BIAB next time, I have no complaints from using DME and dry WB-06 yeast, I'm getting the impression that wheat beers are quite a forgiving brew.
I think Pittsy made a similar comment on his recent dunkel: it's a wheat beer that will appeal to porter/stout fans, a wheat-porter. This is exactly what I was aiming for.

that looks like one of they crimewatch photos to the left of your beer! is that a selfie?

abeyptfc said:
that looks like one of they crimewatch photos to the left of your beer! is that a selfie?
Haha, I hadn't spotted that, I think it's supposed to be me, courtesy of my 9 year old.

Latest posts

Back