The Range- grolsh type bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iian

Reaction score
Bought these wire topped bottles from the range, but disapointed to find after 6 months conditioning the bottles havent held the pressure, pity as these type of bottles can be hard to come by, could try replacing the plastic washer with a rubber one i suppose.

i bought 1 ltr ones from a local manafacturer, i lost quite a few bottles to not haing pressure in them, at first i thought i had just forgotten to prime them, but when i had seven from one batch of beer not pop when opened i gave up on them...pretty much lumbered with them now.

I found the same thing with those bottles, a couple of them did hold pressure, but the others didn't. I replaced the plastic tops with ceramic ones I got from ebay and they all hold the pressure now. I reused the washers that came with the bottles, so it's not those that are at fault.

I got 3 boxes of these and have the same problem with hardly any holding pressure. I was going to try swapping the plastic washer with rubber ones and see if that helps.

JimmyB78 said:
I got 3 boxes of these and have the same problem with hardly any holding pressure. I was going to try swapping the plastic washer with rubber ones and see if that helps.

I think you may of answered one of MY problems here :thumb: I bought 120 of these in the sale last year, not quite the bargain I had hoped for. Seems like 3 out of 10 carbonated, now I know why !!!!!!. I,m gonna have to find a solution to this as I cant bin 120 of them. :shock:

How about putting 2 washers on each bottle? that may provide a better seal :wha:

Mine are ceramic tops with rubber washers, I think the problem is that the washers have to really hit the spot when you clamp them down, very slightly of centre and they don't hold, they also deform. Might try two washers but I think they will be hard to close and also put a lot of pressure on the retainer. I'll try to get some pics of mine up later.

loady said:
Mine are ceramic tops with rubber washers, I think the problem is that the washers have to really hit the spot when you clamp them down, very slightly of centre and they don't hold, they also deform. Might try two washers but I think they will be hard to close and also put a lot of pressure on the retainer. I'll try to get some pics of mine up later.

I'm quite certain this is the problem.

I have several boxes of the 'Range' bottles, happily for me most of them do hold pressure, the ones that haven't have had the washer slightly off centre. I started to check after my third bottle of christmas ale failed to go pop when I opened it. Since then I've taken care to get the washer square and not had a problem with them holding pressure.

Back