Think I am going to have to buy a hydrometer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnewton

Reaction score
Hi all

I got bought some new home brew equipment for Xmas and this weekend I have gave it a testing!

I have done a cider kit in my new fermenting bucket but after 2 day's it's still not bubbling.

I know that's not an indication itself of fermenting starting so I opened it up just once to take this picture. This looks like it started right?

I have always been dubious about getting a hydrometer as I am not sure I'll be able to read it correctly but I'm going to have to take the plunge and try. Are there any good sights I can read in order to get familiar with how you use one?

One last question, how often do you take a reading and do you pour the beer out or put it back in the bucket?

Cheers all

Chris View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1457375033937.jpg

Yes get one without it how will you know your fermentation has finished? airlocks can decieve you or not bubble at all like you have.. (probably fermenting bin is not airtight but thats not a problem as long as you kepe the lid on)

Not done a lot of cider but that looks like its fermenting fine to me

Plus there are may how to videos on YouTube. I find it always helps to actually watch someone do it or explain it, till it sinks in.

Get one. We can help you ;-)

Plus there are may how to videos on YouTube. I find it always helps to actually watch someone do it or explain it, till it sinks in.

Get one. We can help you ;-)
Thanks I'm going to get one, I have noticed since I have put the lid back on that the lid is rising a little but still the damn thing does not bubble

Yes, its the flimsy lids that cause the problem, my Richies FV lid still takes some getting off after all this time and is still airtight when i turn it upside down with steriliser in it, the cheapo bucket and flimsy lid version leaks when i do the same so i have to bodge it to make it seal, some members use Vaseline or PTFE tape, i find the heavy weight method the easiest, to be honest i rarely use the cheap bucket any more as i don't often have two 30 bottle kits on the go at the same time.

I would stop using it but the person who bought me it sadly passed away last week so I am wanting to use it for sentimental purposes. I guess as long as the cider is fermenting then it's all good. But I will try the sugar trick

Quick question can you just drop the hydrometer into the fermenting bucket to measure? Or will it fall over?

So it's OK just to drop in after about a week or so to check it's going OK?

I have read members posting they put it in the FV and leave it in others prefer the trial jar and turkey baster method, i only used mine when i was sure it was finished (no bubbles) and now dont bother as i know when they are done having made gallons of the stuff, i use the one bubble a minute and its finished method, guesswork is an art! :lol:

Thanks very much for your help

Not sure how big your FV is in that first picture, but it looks around a 15 litre? Bear in mind that if you're brewing 11 or 12 litres, a hydrometer won't have enough depth to give a reading as it hits the bottom first! I have learned this from experience :doh::smile:

I have no bubbles lol my airlock is not working so I'll probably give it a week then put it in

Not sure how big your FV is in that first picture, but it looks around a 15 litre? Bear in mind that if you're brewing 11 or 12 litres, a hydrometer won't have enough depth to give a reading as it hits the bottom first! I have learned this from experience :doh:[emoji2]
It's a 25 litre bin

Latest posts

Back