tricks to reduce bottle sediment???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboy

Reaction score
is there any way of reduceing bottle sediment (talking about TC) or just getting around the problem somehow? im fed up of pouring the last glass out of a 1.5l pet, and it being clouded with sediment.

another question, is the sediment harmful if drank?

would a extra racking help? as i just go from first ferment strait to bottle. and is there any point?......

its my understanding that some of the bottle sediment is created by a secondary fermentation within the botlle in order to carbonate so even if i did a second racking and waited for it to be crystal clear before bottleing id still get some sediment wouldent i?

well the yeast sediment is not only NOT harmfull it is in some way benificial to you as it is full of the b vitamins
as for racking it at least 1 more time will help a little but if you want to naturaly carbonate you will have some sediment in
a bit of time in a cold envioroment ie fridge will halp the yeast to pack down even further and if you do in smaler bottles you might just be able to control it

I was fed up of getting floaty bits in my bottles. Wine seems to kick out more sediment even if it appears clear.
So this is what I do now.
When the wine has finished fermenting I leave the wine in a glass DJ for a very long time.I rack it after 4 weeks then again after another 8 weeks or less if there is not a lot of sediment on the bottom. If its not clearing at this stage I add finings.
Once its clear I leave it until it reaches the 6 month mark. Filtering it before bottling gets rid of the last bit of invisible sediment. Then when it is absolutely gleaming clear bottle it. Or if I dont need the DJ I leave it in there until I am ready to drink it.

Not sure if the floaty bits of sediment would harm you but I like my wines to be crystal clear.

tubthumper said:
and if you do in smaler bottles you might just be able to control it

ive just ordered myself a crown capper so i will soon be putting a few brown bottles to good use!

suzie said:
I was fed up of getting floaty bits in my bottles. Wine seems to kick out more sediment even if it appears clear.
So this is what I do now.
When the wine has finished fermenting I leave the wine in a glass DJ for a very long time.I rack it after 4 weeks then again after another 8 weeks or less if there is not a lot of sediment on the bottom. If its not clearing at this stage I add finings.
Once its clear I leave it until it reaches the 6 month mark. Filtering it before bottling gets rid of the last bit of invisible sediment. Then when it is absolutely gleaming clear bottle it. Or if I dont need the DJ I leave it in there until I am ready to drink it.

Not sure if the floaty bits of sediment would harm you but I like my wines to be crystal clear.

thanks. i do/will wait ages and have a couple of racks with my wines. but i was referring to cider.

I usually rack my cider (at least) twice and it usually doesn't produce much sediment. The only sediment remaining stays at the bottom of the bottle so by not pouring the last half centimeter I usually avoid sediment.

Take care

If you are bottle conditioning your cider you will get yeast sediment in the bottom, but this should compact with time and probably not be a problem when you poor.

The sediment comes from the priming sugar you add...the healther brews you make will actually carbonate on their own given adequate time, although you're looking at months. I'm unsure whether there will be no sediment, but there will certainly be less.

I beg to disagree Mr Walker. The sediment is yeast which has dropped out of suspension when all the available sugar has been used whether this was added or was still in the cider or beer. This is the reason we can crop yeast from bottle conditioned beer or cider. Most commercial beers and ciders are pasteurised, cold filtered and force carbonated.

The best advice is to make sure your cider is clear this can be done by chilling either by putting in a fridge or by placing the fv on a cold floor. When it is clear rack of the sediment and then bottle. There will be enough microscopic yeast in suspension to reproduce and carbonate the cider. Once priming is complete and all the sugar is fermented the yeast will drop out and compact at the bottom of the bottle. This amount of sediment will be less than if you bottled cloudy.

Back