Tube re-name

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483

Oh FFS! - Lets erase a bit of history, or come to think of it let's erase the UK I wonder if it would still not be enough to please these types.
Yes the UK has done bad stuff in the past but i've not taken part in it. Adopting Sins of the fathers is never going to make the world an utopia.
Someone has had far too many double shot skinny lattes at far too many focus groups. My view is if someone really doesn't like the UK, emigrate and Integrate with the country you have chosen.

Trying to change the uk as an individual for the better is pushing water up hill. Hence why I suggest leaving. Voting doesn't change much i've found.

Last edited:
What's so controversial about the London Overground lines getting individual names, and why does a guy from Swansea even care?

The Tube lines are all colour coded and named, and it makes it much easier to navigate busy labyrinthine tube stations like Euston where you can end up on any one of 6 lines going in 13 different directions (that's in addition to the 20+ national rail platforms). Need to get to Waterloo? Take the Northern (black) line south. Easy.

All they're doing is updating London Overground lines from all being orange to all having individual names and colours. If you'd ever tried to change at Highbury and Islington you'd understand!

All they're doing is updating London Overground lines from all being orange to all having individual names and colours.
Maybe the colour orange is a huge part of our cultural history?!? (I fail to see what the issue is here)

Oh,never mind. I thought they were going to rename YouTube by your title,but then it might be coz I didn't read the link.

What's so controversial about the London Overground lines getting individual names, and why does a guy from Swansea even care?

The Tube lines are all colour coded and named, and it makes it much easier to navigate busy labyrinthine tube stations like Euston where you can end up on any one of 6 lines going in 13 different directions (that's in addition to the 20+ national rail platforms). Need to get to Waterloo? Take the Northern (black) line south. Easy.

All they're doing is updating London Overground lines from all being orange to all having individual names and colours. If you'd ever tried to change at Highbury and Islington you'd understand!
If you don’t like 6 lines going in 13 different directions under the same name/colour on the map, then maybe you should put down your double shot skinny lattes, then emigrate an integrate into a country that does name all of its Metro/Tube/underground/overground lines! Here in Britain we like them orange and unnamed!

In a more serious note, I’m just disappointed they didn’t choose Liney McLineface!

I don't care one iota what they call them
Neither do I, but it would be nice, for once, if the names were not political in any way. Politics fails to please most of the people any of the time at the best of times so making political statements in the names of bus lines is never going to go by without upsetting someone. Some of the tube stations were named after nearby pubs apparently so maybe call them after British breweries or something like that! Species of trees or birds.....Anything but something political. Think this is done intentionally precisely to cause controversy and division like most things in London these days.

Well there’s one good joke ruined 🙄

IMG_1817.png

At least one should be called SNOWFLAKE.
That's "snowflake" as in people who get upset about the stupidest little things - like the names of railway lines?

Can we have the PRIDE line and make it a rainbow 🌈 colour?
Mildmay is sort of covering that, as the Mildmay hospital was a centre for HIV in the 1980s.

Neither do I, but it would be nice, for once, if the names were not political in any way....Think this is done intentionally precisely to cause controversy and division like most things in London these days.
Quite the opposite - it could be argued this is making good some of the divisiveness of past names. Names like Waterloo are just as political, even if you don't see that as I'm guessing you probably approve of that one. But it doesn't mean much to a large chunk of London's population, whereas say Windrush is meaningful for them - and for Britain's wider history. Likewise naming lines after queens is anathema to people who don't like the monarchy, but they have to suck it up.

I don't live in London so it's not really anything to do with me, but in general I think it's good to have names that resonate for Londoners. That said, some of them are bit rubbish - Mildmay is a great word, but it's in Shoreditch, a good distance from its eponymous line. And there were lots of liberties (areas outside the rule/control of London) across the London area, it's a bit weird picking on just one.

Back