Turbo Cider Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmarc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi there, being a complete novis at making TC (I usually brew beer :D ) Its been in the FV for a week I tasted it & it tastes far to sour I havnt added anything else other than apple juice & a lager yeast (What I had available) is it just a case of adding sugar to sweeten it? Will it keep fermenting? or is there anything else I can do or add at this stage to improve it? :cheers:

When you come to bottling use a strongly-flavoured fruit juice to prime it, rather than sugar. Using apple juice on its own can make TC turn out bland, so you need something else to give it some interest. My most recent ones included a pint of mixed berry juice (blackberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant & raspberry) in one, and spices (cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & star anise) in the other.

Don't add any more sugar. It will dilute the flavour.

Has it cleared? If not you can't really judge the taste yet. Let it clear, bottle it, give it a month, then see what it's like.

But, just AJ and yeast... Not going to be great. No tannin, and nothing to help the thin-ness that just AJ produces. As suggested, use something with a bit of flavour for the priming.

Hi there & thanks for the replies, Is it possible to add tannin or stewed tea after fermentation?, I was thinking of adding glicerine (not sure how much per gallon?) to improve the thin mouth feel so to speek as in winemaking, its nowhare near clear yet Im in no rush so i will just leave it, wasnt planning on bottling just kegging.

It gets mixed in way better if it's there throughout the ferment. Tea could be added late, even at bottling, but powder tannin might not dissolve and distribute thoroughly, it has a tendency to clump.

Latest posts

Back