Turbo cider secondary temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt

Brewing without a hat
Reaction score
Currently fermenting my first turbo cider in the utility room at about 20C. I'll transfer this to a second demijohn to leave for a couple of months in the garage. Currently it's 16C but will fall down to 4C in winter. Are these temperatures ok for bulk aging?

I was momentarily confused by "secondary". I don't think there really is one, with TC. You ferment it and either bottle, keg, or put it away.
I always bottle all mine as soon as it's done, give it a couple of weeks house-ambient then stick it in the garage until I want to drink it.
The garage can get up to say 15 in summer but I'd be surprised if it dropped below 4 in winter. Doesn't seem to do the stuff any harm. Can't say what's optimum for bulk aging though.

It's the term used in the turbo cider how to. The same term is used in beer brewing but it Isn't strictly correct there either.

How long do you leave the bottles before drinking?

I don't do MLF, which /would/ be a secondary, so most of mine get drunk relatively young.
When I've made enough to build up some stock I leave them as long as poss, but more usually it's 2weekswarm2weekscold then try one then leave it until there's nothing older left, which is occasionally the next day...

If you don't do MLF, does that mean you don't add malic acid? As usual there seems to be disagreement as to whether it's necessary. I bought my yeast, nutrient and pectolase from my nearest homebrew shop, which is Boyes, but they didn't have any malic acid so I'm hoping I don't need it. I think I might need to try a different yeast too as their only cider yeast contains sweetener. They stock Gervin wine yeasts so I need to decide which one of those is best.

Supermarket apple juice is usually too low in acid and needs some addition of acid otherwise it will be insipid. I think OB gets round it by adding other juices. :thumb:

Partly by adding other juices, partly by discovering (titration kit and pH papers) that Suma concentrate diluted 1:6 is bang in the middle of Andrew Lea's recommended acidity range.

I've added 1L of cranberry drink to 3L of apple juice. I've also got pomegranate juice for a future brew. Will I be ok with these? Or can I use citric acid instead?

They'll be fine. I wouldn't use citric, if adding any acid it'd always be malic.

I wouldn't recommend citric, I used some in mine and have had to use chalk to reduce the acid taste.. bit like far too many lemons. Next time I'm trying no acid, and see how it tastes. I figure I can always add it at the end if it tastes too insipid... hopefully!

Latest posts

Back