Turbo Cider to 23 litres!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there after my first attempt of TC i deemed to be a great success i think i need to make a big batch of it...Any help/recipe for making it up to 23litres?

Thanks

Not really a lot more to it to be honest.

23L apple juice
2 tsp yeast (or a full pack if buying packets)
5 tsp yeast nutrient
4 tsp of tannin (Some say 2.5, some say 5, I like 4 lol) *can be replaced with 4 very strong mugs of tea.

If you want malolactic fermentation then you will need to swap the yeast out for an old rosie starter (to guarantee a good strain) and chuck in 5 tsp of malic acid into the mix. When malolactic fermentation occurs you end up with a smooth farmhouse cider akin to old rosie. I prefer the original westons with a sparkle etc, so I don't bother with this step.

For fermenting you want 2 weeks at 20-22 degrees.
I then transfer to secondary for a further 7 days at 20 and then 3 months in a cool racking location (so that I don't need to move it again)

After the 3 months is up I then bulk prime with 200g of sugar (I enjoy fizzy cider), rack into a bottling bucket, give a gentle stir and then bottle.

I leave the bottles in the warm for 2 weeks (20 degrees) and then move them to somewhere as cool as I can find for 2 weeks (colder the better). After that you can leave them for another month to condition in the bottle fully if you like, or just bung em in the fridge and enjoy them :D

So could i start of in 23 litre bucket for 2 weeks fermentation then transfer into DJ and leave for 3 months in shed? Then bottle? ALso what sort of bottles do you use...can you re-use say old 'Westons' bottles?

samnorfolk said:
So could i start of in 23 litre bucket for 2 weeks fermentation then transfer into DJ and leave for 3 months in shed? Then bottle? ALso what sort of bottles do you use...can you re-use say old 'Westons' bottles?

As in start a 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket? That's not a great idea but there isn't a lot to go TOO far wrong, you are just more prone to infection with all that headspace and sidewall.

Old westons bottles are ideal. Just about any beer/cider/pop bottle should work fine. The only slight issue is that some bottles now have an odd shaped cap, so make sure the caps fit before doing all the hard work :D

ScottM said:
samnorfolk said:

As in start a 1 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket? That's not a great idea but there isn't a lot to go TOO far wrong, you are just more prone to infection with all that headspace and sidewall.

No, he said it's a 5g batch - I assume he has 5 DJs. A second 5g bucket would probably be better, though 5 DJs would give the chance to try a few different post-processing ideas.

yeah i meant i have 5 DJ as i only have one bucket at present..sorry should have explained myself a bit better

Latest posts

Back