Turning a king keg in to a fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.1980

Reaction score
Hi I have just got two king kegs for free and was wondering if I could modify one to take a air lock and use it as a fermenter unit

In theory yes, ultimately its a 5 gallon food safe plastic bucket so if you could fit an airlock I cannot see any reason why you couldn’t.

No need for an airlock!
On my usual fermenter, I just leave the lid fastened loosely. With a king keg, you could use a piece of muslin cloth or a clean teatowel fastened with an elastic band.

IMG20230602152222.jpg
modded my king keg works a treat 👌

Hi, I totally get this if you have a keg already or you gonna get one free etc... Question i have is this, would you purchase brand new one with the intention of turning into fermenter and of course have it to serve brew from?

Hi, I totally get this if you have a keg already or you gonna get one free etc... Question i have is this, would you purchase brand new one with the intention of turning into fermenter and of course have it to serve brew from?
Apologies, I may have misunderstood what you mean - but you can’t really serve from the same vessel you fermented in, because if you leave the beer lying on the sediment too long you’ll get ‘off’ flavours

Apologies, I may have misunderstood what you mean - but you can’t really serve from the same vessel you fermented in, because if you leave the beer lying on the sediment too long you’ll get ‘off’ flavours
Nah, I think I may have complicated things a bit..... what I meant is this,
I totally understand using a king keg for a fermenter, I have been wondering the same thing. That is assuming you have one around or be getting a keg for free. I was interested to see if someone would purchase a keg for that purpose in addition to having it as a serving vessel, not necessarily to ferment beer and serve it right away from the same vessel. But to have it as a fermenter if needed and then in some other cases to condition homebrew in it...

And I am interested in that since it cost the same (more or less) as 30l chubby.... in some cases king keg is even more expensive.... 🤔

Latest posts

Back