Two kegs, one tap - shuttle valve???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently setup a new corny keg system and life is kinda great! :lol:

However, I have two kegs and only one tap. If I get another tap, the wife will probably tell me off, so I was wondering whether if would be possible to use a couple of non return valves and a solenoid (or manually) actuated shuttle valve, so that I could connect both kegs to the one tap, and then select which beer I want.

Clearly, there would be a small amount of the other beer draw through the lines when I change the valve selection, but much less than there would be if I changed the disconnect at the keg to change beer.

Is this possible and has anyone done it before?

Cheers

Rob

That's what I use what you linked with 3/8 silicone milk hose and I run 3 cornies with one tap so have a shut off valve on 3 hoses and just isolate the JG and change them over as and when,works fine for me

Thanks @Godsdog

Would you be able to post a link to the shut-off valves that you bought please.

Thanks

Robbo

Just a thought that might be relevant from our motorhome.

In the UK we run everything on Calor Propane and in France we run everything on Butagas Propane.

To stop having to wrestle with two different connections I bought one of these ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008R68QF0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... and one of these ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F3D48Y8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The female end of the coupler is attached to the van's gas supply and the two male connectors are attached to the UK and French regulators.

In your case, attaching the female end to the tap and the two male connectors to the two Corny kegs should get the same result ...

... but, like me, you would have to remember to close off the kegs (in my case cylinders) BEFORE detaching the coupler. :whistle: :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the shut off valves that dads ale has linked and off eBay I paid ��£5.99 each which was the expensive way to do it when you add in milk hose ��£6 and QDs liquid out,the easier and less costly is to have a tap/ QD and just keep changing onto a different keg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221593000369?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=520469144588&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
here you go robbo
10wtwgl.jpg

I have 3 of these milk hoses/QDs and a 3/8 (the grey) hard bit of tubing coming out of the sparkler tap also fitted with a 10mm JG and although the JGs are 10 mill I found using 10 mill rigid tubing into the tap made it very difficult to disconnect.in essense 3/8 into the 10mm JG at the back of the tap didn't cause any problems and disconnects from the shut off valves fine.the milk hose is 10mm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Looking at the price of it all, if I were to go for another tap and mount it on the fridge, then I would need the following (note, I already have the beerline):

- Flow Control = £9.45
- Tap kit = £35.99

Total = £41.48

If I go down the route of having a single tap, then it would be as follows:

- Disconnect = £8.00

- T-Connector = £3.00

- 2 x Shut-Off Valves = £9.00

Total = £20.00

The only issue, is that I wouldn't have any NRVs, so I would need to be careful with my keg switching procedure, to make sure I didn't push one beer back into the other keg.

It is a tough call. The second tap is by far the best option, but half the price is a big difference!

Latest posts

Back